Cinnamon Rolls: Part 19

Juliet had a problem.

It wasn't that she didn't know what she wanted to write, but rather that Juliet was in a constant state of frustration from a certain hazel eyed man before she even opened her laptop. She knew that it wasn't fair to blame her inability to put words to paper on Matthew, but she couldn't help it. He had her mind twisted up in a pretzel, and it impacted her more than she would have liked. Creativity had been known to be linked to madness and she felt herself get antsy and angrier the longer she went without writing.

Every time she had tried to get into her book, her mind would wander to Matthew. He had tried to explain things to her on the drive home the next morning, but every time he opened his mouth, he would stumble as though he didn't know what to say. She had waited patiently until they reached her apartment, and when he hadn't given her a straight answer by then, she had gotten out of the car and walked away without looking back.

That night while she was asleep, Matthew left her a voicemail that made her regret ever considering ending what they had.

"Juliet, I know you're mad at me and I know I keep saying this, but I promise that I will answer your questions. It will be a couple of weeks though until I can see you in person to talk about this.... I have been sent away for an assignment. I will come home to you as soon as I can, I promise. Juliet, you are the most perfect woman in the world and I am lucky to have you in my life. Don't give up on me, please."

As much as she wanted to, she hadn't called him back, and it had been eating away at her. She wanted to hear his voice and to tell him that she would give him one more chance to be honest with her, but something stopped her every time she picked up her phone. Unfortunately, she had no one else that she could talk to about it, and she knew it was unhealthy to keep it inside.

Juliet knew that Tessa was aware of her distressed state of mind, but even when Tessa asked, Juliet refused to answer. Instead she would brush it off that she was stressed about her writing, or that she was tired. She didn't want to hear her best friend throw out an 'I told you so' because it would just start another argument, and she was already mentally exhausted. Tessa was still wrong about Matthew and Juliet refused to spend any time defending him to her. He was not angry or dangerous, but he was lying. Granted, it was about his job, but she was getting impatient for answers.

She knew that he traveled a lot and would be gone for long spans of time. He was always armed and claimed that he worked for the government. The house he stayed in had surveillance and was protected with bulletproof glass. She was aware of how unrealistic her thoughts were when she tried to come up with stories for people, but this was the one time where she felt insane answers were the most probable.

Her first thought had been that he was the secret son of a politician and needed protection from someone. He did say that if someone got their hands on the information he had, that they would use it for political gain. It didn't explain his travelling though. If he was in danger, he would have to remain in hiding until the threat was eliminated.

That brought her to the other option. If he wasn't hiding from someone, maybe he was the threat himself. A possible blackmailer? He could be traveling around the world, spying on people to find their dirty secrets. It would be a dangerous job but if he had a team helping him, they could make a pretty penny. Based on their expensive dates and the SUV he drove, she knew he had a good amount of money. It would explain the weapons for protection, the traveling, and the house. Everyone on his team was probably in one of them in case someone tried to exact their revenge.

She had decided that the second option seemed closer but still made no sense.

The only time she could keep her mind off of Matthew was when she was at Sophia's Sweets. There she was constantly busy. The smell of freshly baked goods always made her cheer up and as much as she knew she shouldn't, she was one of those girls who would eat her emotions.