[26] The Girl Who Cried Wolf

"What kind of bullshit are you talking about, Rue?" Hak glared, the curved part of his glaive hitting the ground.

"Can you not be so hostile?" Ken said, his eyes narrowed at the man.

"Ken, stop that." Rue scolded, pushing the man's shoulder back slightly.

"I have to go, Hak. There are many things that I have to do, many objectives." She explained.

"Then, let us help you." Yun came forward.

"Look, you can not. Some things, you can not do by brute force. You need tactics and information, that you do not have." Rue sighed.

"We can learn, you can teach us." The strawberry blonde replied.

"Look, Yun." Her yellow eyes narrowed, "You know how I am. I have my own life and own goals to fulfill. You guys are on a mission to find the dragon warriors, that has nothing to do me."

"How can you say that?" Yona asked hurt, "Rue, everyone here cares for you, you've met them all before me, you've connected with them in ways I may never."

"Hime, that's -"

"You know I am right, Kija." Yona nodded.

"M'lady, are you really going to leave?" Jae-Ha questions as he comes to stand right in front of Rue. His purple eyes against her yellow irises.

Are you really going to leave, pipsqueak?

A voice flashed in her head. Her fingers clenched around her blades subconsciously. What the hell?

"Rue?" Yun frowned in worry.

You're not playing a prank, right?

"Hey, you okay?" Ken asked, placing a hand on her shoulder as her eyes cleared, the daze wearing off.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She said slowly, "Regardless, I am leaving."

"At least, tell us where you're going." Yona emphasized.

"I don't know," Rue honestly said, a smile on her face, "I have never been tied to one place. I go where I believe my objectives are better fulfilled. A place, where I think my next clue lies." She steps closer to the crimson haired princess.

"Your journey has just begun, Yona." Rue pointed out, a sharpness in her eyes and tone.

"Mine begun a long time ago, I know what my end goal is, but," She ruffled her hair, "You don't. You are still unknown to many things that this world has. People, places, food, so much."

"And," She smirked as she pulled up her hood, "I don't owe anyone an explanation, do I?"

"What do you-"

Before they could protest, Rue held up her palm and blew the powder in their general direction. It hit them right in the face and invaded their senses.

"What is this...?" Yun fell and so did the others.

Yona and the others were out, only Hak was barely awake, on his knees as he held himself up with his glaive. Rue nodded at Ken to go ahead as she walked towards Hak and crouched in front of him.

"Rue...." His voice was hoarse.

"Hey, there." She said in a teasing tone.

"Tricked everyone again, huh?" Hak said in strain.

"I guess I did." She hums, her hand lifting up to cup his face.

His blue eyes widened as she pressed her forehead against his, her eyes closed. He felt a strange comfort. His eyes closed as well but he held onto his consciousness.

"Hey, Hak?"

Rue's words did not have an answer but she knew that he was listening, "Thank you for surviving, for protecting her, for protecting yourself. Don't die, Hak. Please."

His body slumped forward but Rue caught him, her arms holding onto him, a soft smile on her lips. He had finally lost consciousness. Her yellow eyes glanced down at him, seeing all the small scratches that he must have gotten during the battle.

"We'll meet again." Rue smiled as she walked away.

||♪||

Rue had left gifts for the group. Mementos that she had always intended to give them. She tied the ribbons in a criss-cross manner, tightly, on her sleeves as Ken was playing with his dagger. The two of them were walking through the forest, not wanting to tire themselves too early.

They were far enough from Awa, taking an entirely different route than usual travellers. Ken yawned into his hand as they walked.

"I'm thinking of visiting the borders." Ken brought up.

"The borders?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah, the borders are unstable. War may be imminent."

"Do you think Kouka will burn?"

"What?" Ken froze as he sharply turned towards her. Rue was staring up at the trees, the sun light beaming through them. Warmth creeping up their bones as they bathed in it's glory.

Her eyes were unmoving, still and calm. A calm sea of doom. Yellow eyes that were never bright. Carrying the throes of death within them. She spoke again, her eyes staring into the skies.

"Kouka," Rue turned and tilted her head slightly towards him, "-will it burn?"

"I don't know."

"A pity." She sighed, turning to walk pass.

"I think if it burned then it would rise once again like a phoenix."

||♪||

"I fear, Rue may carry a burden that we can not imagine." Kiara said as she leaned her head on Ken's shoulder.

"Why do you say that?"

"Her eyes. They never change. The same emotions, the same blankness. Her smiles feel so much like a well-practiced mask that it sometimes scares me." The blonde worried.

"You're worrying too much. Don't worry." Ken chuckled, "Rue will be fine."

"Is that so? I guess so." Kiara sighed.

Ken watched her walk ahead, his eyes studying her. Remembering the conversation he once had with Kiara.

Could she have been right?

His jaw clenched.

"Do you think Kouka will burn?"

Rue,

Her dark hair and yellow eyes stared at the crossroads intently, her right hand's fingers twitching slightly. Ken narrowed his gaze. A strange shiver down his spine as he felt a growing insecurity.

Kiara was wrong.

"Ken, that path seems to have bandits. We should take this one." Rue smiled. Her smile empty, her eyes empty. Not a speck of truth in her face.

"As you say." He nodded, somehow, Rue always knew which path was the safest. Even if they never went through that area before. As if she knew. Knew everything about this terrain.

Right?