He never got upset with me.

The truth was, I was scared. I didn't want to hear something I didn't want to hear. Like, my Dad banning Quincy like he banned Willy, or my mother being hurt because I didn't come to her first. I didn't want to have the serious conversation with them about what came with having a boyfriend because I knew it already it would make me feel uncomfortable. I knew I had to eventually. But I personally thought it wasn't the right time.

"Are you really that mad? Q, I'm going to tell them we're together." I assured him, trying to smile. "I'll bring you to the cookout." I offered.

The cookout was a good month away and would give me time to mentally prepare myself. It was close enough to satisfy Quincy and far enough to either come up with another excuse or woman up. 

Except, it didn't satisfy Q.

"Nae, you're not being serious are you?"

"Yes, yes I am. They'll be in one setting and it's just a regular barbecue. It'll be fun." I reached for his hand, trying to coax him into the idea.

"And you don't think it'll be a problem when you just spring it up on them? Are you even supposed to be doing this right now?"

He had a point, but I really wasn't trying to hear it. There was no reason why I should get in trouble for being happy. He was worth it. Q was worth it to me.

"I don't understand why you're mad about this, Q. I'll tell them."

"Today."

"Today?"

"Yes today, you're gonna tell them that you're my girl and that you've been spending time with me."

"Okay." I agreed slowly after hesitating for a second. "I'll do it today if that's what you really want." 

"Thank you." He smiled, kissing my lips softly. "I just don't want any problems just showing up like that."

I hummed in response, pulling him into me for a hug.

Why did I feel like telling my family I had a boyfriend wouldn't be as easy as I thought?

🖤

When I walked in the door, I heard talking, making my body just freeze up in a fit of nerves. I listened a little longer and winced seeing it sounded like everyone was home. Closing the door and locking it behind me, I slipped my shoes off just as Mama called for me.

"Janae?!"

"Yes Mama!" I called back.

"Where you been baby? I thought you'd be here earlier." She spoke as I walked into the kitchen surprised to see Rashad and Kelly along with Dad and Calvin. We were all under one roof and it was no one's birthday.

Interesting.

"Just with the girls." I replied. "What are y'all doing here?" A rapid knock came at the door before they could answer and I just walked back to the door checking the window seeing it was just Nicki, opening the door. "Why are you trying to break the door?" I asked, giving her a look.

"We gotta go." She told me urgently.

"What?"

"I was just talking to Raquel then all of a sudden there was, like, screaming and she hung up on me. We gotta go check it out."

Rocky's home life was the most unstable of the five of us. She had a single mother who had a new trash boyfriend every once and awhile, and a father who literally dropped off the face of the earth when we were 12. And as of recently had the drama with Andre coming to stay with them.