14

"alright?" a voice says coming over to join her on the edge of the pool.

it was freezing cold, and the pool water didn't make it any better for either of them.

"harry?" she replies shakily, scared as to what the boy wanted from her.

"yeah. came outside cause i couldn't sleep and saw you. sorry, i can go." the boy stutters, getting flustered with the interaction.

"no. stay, it's fine." she says with a small smile, trying to reassure him.
"so, how've you been?"

"good. you?"

"great." she says bluntly through gritted teeth. as petty as it sounded, she wanted to seem like she was getting on fine without him, so he couldn't see what a wreck she'd become.

"mads. ive known you for so long, i know when you're lying. please, talk to me." he pleads, desperate to help the girl next to him.

"you stopped that. remember?"

these words hit him like a stab in the chest. it was his fault. he had stopped it. his head falls as he tries to break down the lump of guilt building in his throat.

seeing harry so broken hurt her. no matter their petty argument, she felt a need to help him. she shuffled closer to him, pulling him into her arms. it was awkward at first, as would be expected, but then they ease into it and deja vù kicks in. she'd missed this. she'd missed them.

"it's fine. i understand." she says, looking him in his piercing blue eyes as he sits up.
"you sure you're okay?"

"honestly? no. i guess i don't love katie as much as i thought i did. but i still can't hurt her like that, y'know? it's just a shit situation." he sighs. it felt good to talk to her about this, to be honest.

the pair stayed there on the side of the pool for hours, chatting and catching up on missed time. there was no guilt in their meeting, the two of them completely forgetting about their 'agreement' to stay apart.

unfortunately for them, katie hadn't. she had woken up in the night, and when noticing the empty bed next to her, decided to go out and investigate. looking out the patio doors and seeing the pair together, jealousy rose in her. she was jealous of their relationship, and how she had harry's attention. he could see the love in his eyes when he looked at her, the genuine smile on his face, that just wasn't there when he was with katie. she takes her phone out and takes a picture of the pair together, as a new piece of blackmail material, knowing full well his image would be ruined if his fans learnt their 'precious harry' had been cheating on his girlfriend.

a/n not related to the chapter at all. but another comment abt that new sidemen video, the camera quality made them all look insane tbh.