Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Rachael put me into my room. It was small. There was an open door leading to a bathroom. Two beds, one occupied and one not. The one that wasn't occupied contained my things. The bed that was occupied held a girl. She looked to be seventeen, like me. She had long, wavy dark hair. Her green eyes flashed me a look and she smiled with blinding white teeth. Laying down she seemed to be about 5'4" which meant I was two inches taller than her. 

My new roommate. She seemed nice enough, I guess I had no other choice but to be buddies with her since I would spend the next three months here.

        "I'm Sammy," she said, holding out a hand. A pain filled my chest at her name. Sam, I already missed him deeply. I held out my hand as the door behind me closed shut. We were alone.

        "I'm Casey," I said.

        "Nice to meet ya. You and I will be spending a while together so let's start with the basics." She took in a deep breath, ready to start talking. I stopped her and asked, "No TV."

        She sighed and said, "Yes, no TV. They don't allow us crazies to watch television. They think we'll get ideas or some bullshit. You'll find enough to keep you entertained. We have group counseling, individual counseling, and of course, time to ourselves. Which can be spent walking around and making friends or hanging with your new best friend: me."

        Not going to lie, I loved this girl. She reminded me a lot of myself. I could deal with her for three months. Maybe actually get close to her.

        "So, time to get to the basic introduction. As you know my name is Sammy, my last name doesn't matter. I've been here for nine months and was put in her by my parents because I tried to kill myself; A.K.A I have depression. I am seventeen. I was considered an outcast at school, which is why I became depressed. Life fucking sucks so why not spend it in a mental hospital." She smiled at the last part. I liked her even more. Somehow, she added humor to the situation.

        I sat on my bed and started to think up my introduction. I knew for a fact that mine would not be as smooth as hers. "I'm Casey; I guess my last name doesn't matter either. I've been here since today, clearly. I was sent in by my parents because of serve depression and three suicide attempts. I was popular in high school, I guess, which is what made me depressed. I never felt like anyone got me no matter how many people were around me. I have a ten year old brother named Sam who I love more than anyone. I'm a cold hearted bitch so why not spend the rest of my life in a mental hospital."

        Sammy smiled. "I like you. How long you staying?"

        "Three months but more if I am not better. You?"

        "Three months and I'm out. Guess that's perfect timing if we both get out when we're promised."

        "Isn't it not smart to put two seventeen year old girls who are depressed and suicidal in the same room? We could make a plan to kill ourselves."

        Sammy gave me a weird look. Clearly she had never thought of the idea and didn't approve. "I think they just wanted us to have someone to relate to."

        I felt stupid, idiotic, saying what I did. I felt like Sammy didn't like me as much now. I looked around the room, wanting to escape the dense and quiet air that choked me. As I took in my new home I noticed we had nothing but the bare essentials. All we had was each other, like Sammy had said. I started to feel the walls caving in, my new reality setting in even more. How much time will I spend in here? It's so depressing.