Chapter 20- Backfire

I sprint as fast as I can towards the rock, trying my hardest not to get distracted by the sound of Camille and Tom's fighting in the distance. Deep breaths, I tell to myself, This'll all work out.

"Marco. It's Tom, are— ow! -the transmitter's working?" I suddenly hear a voice in my ear, almost jumping in surprise until I remembered the bracelet on my wrist. Freaky Tom technology, might I say.

"Tom! Yeah, uh, it is-" I let out an exasperated pant, legs starting to tire from running, "-how are you holding up, there?"

"Marco- uh, to be honest- gah! - not that good. But I can- eat this! - manage."

I decide not to reply for now, as I don't want to distract Tom with any more chit chattering. Besides that, I've reached the thought out Toffee hiding spot, my back against the wall of the outside, and trying to peep into the wide opening.

I almost let out a sigh of relief when I see Toffee sitting completely still on some chair with his back faced towards me, green light emanating from his body. The area around him is plain, just a bunch of wires connecting to another chair, (for what purpose, I do not know nor do i intend to find out) and whatever it is, it's definitely not good.

"Tom." I start, breathlessly keeping my eyes on the prize, "He's in here."

"Marco- shit! - what's he doing?" Tom's strained voice comes through the line.

"Tom, I...uh...he's just sitting on a chair...meditating?" I turn away from the opening of the cave, leaning against the wall outside once more, "He's glowing green, and it's probably because he's using his powers to control Camille."

This is good. This means Toffee is vulnerable, because he's too focused on his mind controlling, he won't be able to sense me coming. All I have to do is play the element of surprise and capture him.

Tom's voice rings in my ear again, "Okay, is there any way you can— hey! - like tie him up or something while he's staying there?"

"Well, there's a bunch of wires around him, that'll do, right?"

"Yeah, just tell me if anything goes wrong. I'll try and knock Camille out as fast as I can."

I turn my attention back to the lizard demon, eyes locked on the clump of lose wires next to where he sat, and by the looks of it, it'll be enough to wrap around him. I keep my footsteps light, and my senses heightened, expecting anything to jump and tackle me right now — but then nothing does, and now I'm within arms reach to the wires and Toffee is still unaware of my presence.

This seems .... way too easy.

I ignore the unsettling feeling in my stomach, lifting the stuff up with a grunt, fumbling about with the loose ends, readily positioning them in the easiest knot possible.

....Way too easy.

And as if on cue, 'Toffee' dissolves into a pile of dust before me and I scream so loud that Tom didn't need a transmitter to hear me, proven so when he frantically asks,

"Marco, are you okay?!"

"Tom! Crap, I- yeah- uhh, there's just—"

I wasn't able to finish my sentence because the sought out lizard demon suddenly saunters from Glob knows where grinning his evil grin as he approaches me with the most villainous look ever that I'm afraid this whole situation is just about to bite us in the ass.

Oh no.

"Marco?! Are- ! -okay-?! Mar-" Toffee must be doing something to the transmitters because the line drops and I couldn't hear Tom's voice anymore,