fourteen

Chapter Fourteen |

A WEEK and a half passed by with Kai and I searching for answers to the necklace, we'd found nothing.

The night on the piano was never mentioned, not once, which was odd because I thought Kai would tease the hell out of me over it. I'd tried to forget about it but it kept incessantly playing on my mind.

I let some old CD play as I cooked up some breakfast, hoping to distract myself from the thoughts. Maybe Kai was right about Joshua, maybe he'd planted something in here to mess with our heads, but the more I thought about that the more it didn't make sense.

I let the knife in my hand slice through an apple as I stare at the necklace infront of me on the kitchen island. Kai was somewhere in the house still looking for answers which I knew was pointless.

The Salvatore's had a wide variety of books in their library containing so many fascinating things, but it was obvious they didn't have anything on this necklace, especially if it was Joshua's creation.

I let my thoughts wander back to a certain witch back in the real world and thought about all of the things she might do with a necklace that could be the key out of a prison world. It sounded so ridiculous to say, even in my head, but the world I live in was far from normal now.

An idea clicks in my head; blood. Bonnie used blood for practically every magic she did. Maybe that's the key. But whose blood?

I glance to the knife gripped in my right hand and think for a brief moment. The necklace was certainely around my mothers neck the last time I saw her, I'm sure of it, so could it be linked to me too?

I dig the tip of the knife into my thumb, wincing quietly in pain, until a small drop of blood forms on the surface. I let it drop onto the necklace and wait for something to happen. I suck the blood from my thumb, keeping focused on the necklace, waiting.

My attention breaks when Kai walks into the kitchen and immediately locks his eyes on me sucking my thumb. He rolls his eyes with a groan, "Cut yourself again? You are a literal walking disaster."

"Ouch." I say, slightly offended, "Thanks?"

"Need my medical expertise?" He asks and I laugh.

"No." I inspect my thumb, "It's just a scratch."

"As delicious as it sounds..." He jokes, "I prefer my apple without blood."

Or I pray he's joking, most of the time I can't tell. I sigh and press my hands against the counter top, seeing the blood did nothing to the necklace. I glance up at Kai, "We should take a break from this whole necklace thing."

"We are taking a break." Kai responds, picking up a slice of apple and throwing it into his mouth.

I shake my head, "A proper break. We've been searching non-stop for an answer and it's exhausting, we just need a few hours - or atleast I do - to do something else, something relaxing."

He lets out a long breath, as though defeated, "What do you have in mind?"

I smile and begin to head out of the kitchen to get a jacket, "Somewhere relaxing."

Twenty minutes later we were close to our destination. We'd collected a few snacks from the small convenience store on the way considering I'd made us skip breakfast.