Chapter 2

"What have you been working on down here?"

"It's perfect that you're here. My pocket watch is all fixed, kind of."

"What are you-"

"Just follow me, son." his father babbled as he cut Kairo off and ran up to the living room

Kairo sighed as he followed behind till they ended up in his father's room. His father began rummaging his drawers and placing things into a compact grey-coloured haversack that was laying on his bed.

"Here's a backpack with all the essentials in it, like my notes and ..." Kairo's father continued muttering to himself as he walked out of the room.

"Stop. Stop. Stop! What is going on?!" Kairo irritably demanded

"Sorry. Sorry. I got too excited that you are back, but that's okay. I know that you left because you didn't want to believe in my stories, but that doesn't matter anymore. Man believes what their eyes show them, so I'm going to give that chance to see it for yourself. My job... my old job." His father calmly explained

With a blank expression on his face, Kairo realized how nothing had really changed since he left and his father's obsession with the stories of his past job is still the only thing on his mind. Yet, he did not want to ruin this reunion right from the start.

"Fine. I'll bite. Go." Kairo groaned as he rolled his eyes

Grinning from ear to ear, Kairo's father took out his pocket watch, placed it's key into the slot and winded it for a moment before placing it in Kairo's hand and clipping the connecting chain to his belt loop.

"I suggest you put the bag on, son. There's only one minute left." Said Kairo's father

Slinging the haversack across his right shoulder and looking down at the pocket watch in his left hand, Kairo counted the seconds till the delusion his father was putting him through would end. His father pats Kairo on the head and compliments him.

"You've grown into a fine young man, but my adventures are no more. We've fought over our separate beliefs, but seeing is believing. Now it's your turn, be a hunter. Meet people and make mistakes and learn from them. This watch will help you jump between worlds. Have fun, kiddo. This may be the last time we'll meet."

"Dad, don't be-"

Kairo attempted to reciprocate, when suddenly a bright light engulfed him whole, accompanied by a chill as a different scenery unfolded before his eyes.

"-Absurd."

He was no longer standing in front of his father. He was not even standing in his old home. He was standing in the middle of the street, in his black thin layered long sleeved t-shirts and jeans with the haversack on his back and the pocket watch still in hand. 

"You've got to be kidding me. Where the fuck am I?" Kairo blurted out in dissatisfaction as he began to realize his situation

"If you have time to yell, you have time to decide if you are going to get away from the front of my shop or.. come in." a womanly voice cautioned from the entrance of her shop

Unsure of the correct procedures to take next in his current dilemma, Kairo decided to enter the store.