Chapter 42 - Reunions and Departures

Checking her view in the mirror one last time, Luna reapplied her lip balm. Running her fingers, carefully, through her hair, she managed to put it in place. Was this too much? Why was she so nervous?

Staring at the little wrinkle done on her dress, Luna knitted her brows. Running her hand a couple of times, she sighed in defeat. It was fine, it would all turn out fine. No one would even notice it. She was definitely overthinking.

Walking back into her closet, she picked another dress. This time in satin, she had never had the chance to wear such an outfit. Looking at her reflection, she wondered once again. Because of the weather outside, her first thought was to wear something thicker. So she opted for a green checkered wool dress. Because it was synched at the waist, it accentuated her curves, giving a more youthful feel. But now, looking again, she didn't feel flirty at all. As she took the satin dress out of the hanger, Luna heard her phone ring.

Picking it up, Luna felt herself dizzy. Her heartbeat speeding.

"Hello." She answered.

She could hear the faint R&B playing on the background.

"Hey, are you ready? I'm in front of your house." Leonard's voice was deep and sultry, with a tinge of nervousness hidden well behind it.

"Oh, okay. I'll be right there." Luna answered, grabbing her purse and her shoes. She chose simple pumps, that although not really extraordinary looking, made her legs look the best.

As she stared at herself on the elevator, the few seconds allowed her to overthink everything that led till this moment. As she stepped out of it, the sounds of her shoes hitting against the floor were like those of raindrops on a flood. Each overlapping the other inside her head, as her pressure got higher and higher. As she got out of the building, Leonard was already outside his car. As if her heartbeat had moved to her head, Luna felt her ears burn with the heat emanating from her face.

Leonard looked great, with a satin purple shirt and black trousers, he gave off a different aura from when they met through meetings. His hair styled in a very trendy way. With those looks, he could be compared to actors and models.

As both people stood there, startled, with a shy smile on their face. The doorman could only stare. Oh how good it was to be young.

"Have a good evening Ms.Gills." The doorman spoke, making Luna aware of her surroundings.

"Thank you. You too." Luna spoke with a shy smile, finally approaching her date.

As Leonard observed Luna approach, he opened the car's door. His eyes barely leaving his date's.

"Hi." Luna greeted him. She was so nervous it was embarrassing.

It was not as if they had never gone out to eat just the two of them. In fact, out of all of the people in her life, Leonard was probably the person she went out most frequently. Being both food lovers with complicated schedules, they both didn't mind arranging their meetings during meal time. As they got closer, whenever there was chance to find a new restaurant, they would both be quick to contact each other. Now, however, the situation was different. There was a thick fog of tension clouding what used to be a free road.

"Hey." He greeted her back, his lips with an enchanting smile. "You look beautiful."

Feeling her cheeks flush, she smiled.

"Thank you. You too." She spoke staring at his shirt.

As silence filled the air, Leonard opened the door for Luna to enter the vehicle. What did they usually talk about? How did they feel around each other? Those were memories both of them couldn't quite recall. It was so natural, that trying to remember only wasted energy.