chapter 35-heartache tonight

Start from the beginning

Losing Lauren reminds me of Hector and I. I didn't wanna admit it, but we're distancing ourselves. We literally work at the same place but it feels like we were sent to different countries. I haven't talked to him in a little bit, and it worries me. I lost the girl of my dreams, I don't want to lose my best friend. Today is the perfect opportunity for me to prevent it. Today is going to be an amazing day.

Rachel's p/v
"What are you eating for breakfast?" I ask as I flip over a pancake.
"Left over waffles that I made yesterday." Declan answers.
"Make me some, yeah?"
"Whenever you come over for breakfast. I actually called you to reveal big news."
"You bought a Billy Joel record?"
"Nope, something better. I want you to guess."
"Why do people love the guessing game? I don't know Declan, are you pregnant? Did you get someone pregnant?"
"Oh yeah, I'm pregnant. 50 weeks."
"Sir you're long over do!"
"Guess something else m'am."
"I don't know, you...," I place the spatula on the counter, "you got accepted to join show choir?"
"Will you like your prize sent through mail or in person?"
"I was right? Oh my God, congrats! See, I knew you were going to get accepted."
"Not going to lie I was pretty nervous to hear back but my body relaxed once I got the email."
"Speaking of emails, my brother's best friend is having a birthday party today. He's actually in choir! Would you like to come?"
"Not sure how that has to do with emails but for sure! Let me just check my schedule, hmmm."
I roll my eyes. "0 events for today, tomorrow, and the rest of the year."
"Wow, you're underestimating how many people call me for things."
"A loser who had no friends for a while don't get called to things."
"Rachel, of course, is speaking from experience."
"Wha, you're a meanie!"
"But on a real note, I'm absolutely free today. Can you send me the address through text? I gotta feed my doggie."
"Yeah, I'll send you the address. Darry and I were thinking of getting there around 4 so be ready by then."
"You're talking to the guy who only owns like 5 shirts, I'm ready in a dash."
"A blast you mean."
"I know what I mean."
I laugh. "Ok mr. sassy pants."
"Sassy pants? You're the sassiest girl I know!"
"I'm the only girl you know."
"Wow, and you call me a meanie."
"Don't you have a turtle to feed?"
"Dog, but yes, thanks for the reminder. See you later."
"Bye."
I slide my phone into my back pocket. Fuck, I'm still in my sweats with NO pockets. And now my phone is on the ground and it's probably cracked and covered in jam. I accidentally dropped my toast before I decided to make pancakes.

The dressing I'm wearing to Hector's party holds a special place in my heart. It was my mom's dress, and I only kept it because I thought that one day she'd wanted it and was therefor forced to come back  for it. It doesn't hurt seeing the dress in my closet, but having it on is something different. No matter what happens at the party, I know my mom will be with me in spirit.

Darry's p/v
Nigel takes out his phone. "To remember this upcoming night of madness."
I look down. Super flattering angle.

 Super flattering angle

"Darry."
I look up. It's Mary.
"I was hoping we could talk for a bit."
"Oh, yes, yeah of course."
"Mans just said every kind of yes." Nigel laughs.
"Caught me off guard because I've been meaning to talk to you."
"Cool. The porch is pretty empty right now, we can talk there."
"Alrighty."
Rachel frowns at me. I shoot her a smile of reassurance. This is party is off to a great start.