chapter 87- gods and monsters

Rachel's p/v
Someone is knocking on the door. Doesn't sound urgent, but I'll check who it is. Stranger danger? My father used to bring gang members to the house. I can handle this. I open the door. "Hector? What are you doing here? It's 10 pm."
"Couldn't sleep. Just tossing and turning so I said hey, why not go for a drive?"
"That doesn't explain why you're here."
"I figured you wouldn't be able to sleep either. And looks like I was right, you opened the door pretty fast."
"I was listening to some music in the kitchen. 10 pm jamming is the best."
"Do you want drive around with me? Darry isn't here to tell you no."
"I don't know, he wouldn't want me to go. But I need a distraction so I'll take your offer."
"Great. You grab a sweater and I'll be waiting in my car." Hector walks away. Oh, I'll need more than a sweater. With this weather I'm going to need a fucking natural heater hoodie.

Mary's p/v
"How does it feel to be an amazing director, Declan!" Bowie yells.
"Amazing!" Declan yells back.
"You guys did so well, no wonder we got first place in the film festival."
"Us? You directors are the real mvps here." Nigel says.
"Aw shucks!" Jenna gushes.
"Nah, we all worked hard and deserved that win. Why don't we go for celebratory pastries?"
"Yeah! I'm so down."
"Me too!"
"Can you guys walk faster?" Darry yells from behind. We start to speed up. Darry grabs my hand. "Not you, darling. Let's talk."
Darry and I slowly walk away from the rest of the group.  Good thing the teachers are in front of us.
"You wanted to talk?"
"I want to go on an unofficial date with you. Can we do that?"
"Only if you take photos of me."
"Deal."
I grab his other hand. "Then it's an unofficial date."
Darry and I giggle and run off. He called me darling.

Rachel's p/v
Hector turns on the radio. 505 by Artic Monkeys is playing.
"I know why I can't sleep, but why can't you sleep?"
"Well you said you figured I wouldn't be able to either. Why?"
"Because of Mary and her dumb accusations. Am I correct?"
"It's not just that, Hector. I'm a fucking monster."
"Why do you say that?"
"Because I can never be happy for any of my friends. I mean, I am so proud of them for accomplishing so many things. They deserve that trip to New York. But I can't help but feel left out. I wish I had a talent like them."
"Rachel, you have soooo many talents. You can sing, dance, and cook! You should join the dance team at school."
"I joined the dance team at the country club in West Lin but the club is closed for who knows how long. And I am recording a song with someone but I totally embarrassed myself yesterday. He probably doesn't even wanna work with me anymore."
"If that's the case then he would call you to let you know that the colab is cancelled. And there are so many other dance teams you can join. Take dance classes at some studio."
"Too expensive. All my dreams are ruined."
"Not ruined, just under construction."
I look outside the window. Why is the moon like that?
"Rachel, you see that moon? You see it, right?"
"I see it alright."
"It's the end of the fucking world. I'm going to park so we can take a closer look."

Mary's p/v
"Name a song you were obsessed with in 8th grade." Darry asks me.
"In 8th grade I was obsessed with 505 by Artic Monkeys. You?"
"Romantic Dreams by Deftones. Their music had me lighting a cigarette in the moonlight."
"I smoked once. Jonathan and his friends were getting high at the skate park. One of his friends was vaping and offered me a puff, but I declined. His other friend offered me a cigarette and I accepted it because I wanted to look cool. Worst decision ever."
Darry laughs. "Did you cough up a storm?"
"I coughed like there was no tomorrow. Jonathan got mad at me for smoking but I don't know what he expected. His friends were definitely not going to be impressed by my skate tricks. I needed something cool about myself to show off."
"I'm sorry you felt that way. Smoking isn't cool, it's really dangerous. Promise me you won't ever do it again."
"I promise. It just isn't for me. But Darry, if it's dangerous, then why do you smoke?"
"Good question. I get bored and need a relaxer. Smoking has always been a coping mechanism for me. Whenever I'm stressed out I smoke. I stopped smoking towards the end of my junior year but I just started again. Now I carry a lighter and box in my pocket.
"I don't want you smoking, Darry. It isn't a good coping mechanism."
"I know, but I can control it. I'm not addicted."
"Anyone can turn addicted."
"That's true, I got addicted to you."
I blush. "Ohhhhh, stop it."
Darry looks outside the window. His jaw drops.
"What's wrong?"
"Look at the fucking moon!"
I look outside the restaurant window. "Oh shit, why is it like that?"
"Wacky science crap."
"Or negative energy is coming. I read all about it a couple of months ago."
"Explain then. I don't think you can explain a black moon."
"It's a theory and a myth that is still being slept on. Basically, black moons appear when all the stars in the sky are arranged in certain shapes. If there are multiple shapes, the light reflects on the moon. The black moon resembles negative energy. After the moon has made it's appearance, the following day will be awful for a lot of people. Doesn't explain the black color though."
"Do you believe it?"
"I'll believe anything after seeing the moon. It's only a myth, I seriously did not expect for the moon to appear."
"And there's no way to stop the bad luck?"
"You have to be at ease with yourself. My advice is to think positively. I dunno, think about something that puts a smile on your face."
"Then I'll be thinking about you all night long."
"You're the best unofficial boyfriend ever."
"Just stating the facts. I hope you think of me for the next couple of days."
I hold his hand. "I already do."