Chapter 6

Estella thought her day was gonna pass in a blur—she cleaned her room, decluttered some of her old clothes, went to donate them to charity, came back, reorganized her shelves but even then she had so much time to kill. 

Lilah had made mashed potatoes, green beans, and homemade sausage for lunch when she went downstairs. 

After her tummy was filled, she helped her with the dishes, watched netflix, and by the end of the seventh episode, her dad returned from New Jersey. He was working on his new contract which, as per him, would be done in less than two months. 

Estella went for her usual coffee at Beck's and returned home before dinner. It was half-past nine when the lights went out. 

She plopped on her comfy bed, her phone flipping in her hands while raw thoughts consumed her mind.

I have a place to show. Be ready. I'll call you. He had told her yesterday, after lunch. However, his call never came. The only text she received from him was that  c

he had some errands to run and he'd get back the next day. 

It was the early morning when he called her. 

"Hey, " she acted if she wasn't sleeping and hid her morning raspy voice. 

"Morning, " his voice was clear, not like her. He must have gotten up way before her, she thought and glanced up to see the time. It read eight forty-nine. 

She yawned, careful not to make any noise. "Morning, Edward." 

"So you're up for it?" He asked. "No turning backs, right?"  

"Yes, we have a deal," she said, leaving her bed and stalking to the bathroom. "I'll go get ready for that." 

"Oh not now." He said quickly. She frowned. "I'm busy. How about after two hours?" 

She was so excited about this opportunity. "Yeah sure." 

"I'll pick you up." He announced and the line got cut. 

She saw in the mirror how her lips curved in disappointment. It pinched her a little how monotonous he was with her. Shrugging, she bent down to the sink and splashed her face with cold water. 

....

"Where are we going?" She asked him as soon as she hopped in his car. 

Edward was dressed in a plain gray sweatshirt and a black jacket over it. Today he was wearing a black jeans. He looked younger with his pale skin and black eyes that highlight his beautiful features. However it was the round glasses that gave him the different look. 

She liked that but didn't say aloud. 

"Nice dress." He said and she awkwardly withdrew her eyes off him, hoping she wasn't caught gaping him. 

"I like this. It suits me well." Estella looked at her black vintage jumpsuit. She was wearing it over a white a white top. Her eyes frantically moved from him to her, noticing their clothes were pairing up. 

"Yeah, it does." He said, tugging a small smile at the corner of his lips, probably thinking the same thing as her. 

He started the engine, roaring it with life, and whipped it on the road. She expelled a breath, trying to perceive the air of sitting with him. Usually, it was she who could make people nervous around her but it was Edward that made her bite her lips. 

"You've been busy lately," she said, sounding casual. 

He kept his eyes on the road and answered. "I have new responsibilities now."