Chapter 34

Virgil's POV

Day 38

I spent most of the next day with Logan, trying to find more foolproof contingency plans against Deceit and Duke, "Power-restricting cuffs won't really work on Deceit because his powers aren't really physical. So unless your cuffs are designed to detect the signal or whatever that goes off when he tries to use his powers, it wouldn't work," I point out when Logan frustratedly says that we could just use the cuffs on them.

"So our best option is to blindfold Deceit and electrocute the Duke?" Logan asks snarkily, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"I mean that might work," I mumble, suppressing a laugh.

He sits up suddenly, "Deceit takes control of people when he uses his power and makes eye contact with them, correct? If so, then all we would need to do is find a transparent material that effectively blocks it, like a self-reflective silicon glass," He rants, going over to his white board and making note of his revelation.

"Logan? Virgil?" Patton calls, knocking on the door. Before we can answer, Roman and Patton walk in, "You guys need to take a break, you've been in here all day!"

"Patton, your concern is nice but we have just made a breakthrough," Logan starts to explain, and Patton is having none of it.

"The idea will still be there later," Patton whines, obviously going to win the fight.

Roman drags me out of the room while Patton forces Logan to lay down, "What?"

He brings me into his room and I see the menu for Hercules on his T.V. "Cuddles," He demands, sitting down and making grabby hands.

"Why?" I ask slowly.

He pulls me down next to him, wrapping his arms around me and nuzzling into my hair, "Because I could've lost you without getting the chance to spend some quality time with you," He mumbles. Oh my god this guy's too sweet I can feel the cavities forming. I grab the remote and start the movie, leaning against his chest, "What's it like?"

"What's what like?" I ask, fully expecting him to say some cheesy one liner like 'what's it like being the most adorable person on Earth.'

"What was it like being under Deceit's control? Like were you aware of everything or was it more like being trapped in a dark room?" He clarifies.

I look up to see him pouting slightly, and kiss him. After a couple seconds I pull away knowing that I now closely resemble a tomato, "Calm down. At first it's like you're being forced into the backseat of your own mind, and when you try to argue with the driver, it all gets worse. Resisting his control only seemed to make it stronger, and when we were on the roof, I was pretty aware of everything going on," I explained awkwardly.

"That couldn't have been easy," He say sympathetically, looking guilty.

"What's wrong?" I ask, figuring there's more to it than just me getting kidnapped.

"The only reason you had to go through all of that is because they caught me off guard, I could've protected you," He mumbles against my hair.

"No offense, but you couldn't have. There was no way for you to know Deceit and Duke were already there unless you can see the future," I tell him, brushing his hair out of his face.

He pouts, "I know, but being Prince Charming is my whole persona, so I can be pretty hard on myself when I don't save someone."

"If Patton heard this conversation he would physically fight you," I point out, laughing lightly to ease the situation.

"You're amazing, you know that?" He asks, changing the topic.

"I beg to differ."

"Now who's gonna Patton gonna have to physically fight?"

Logan's POV

"Patton I do not understand how you expect me to fall asleep considering how recently I consumed caffeine."

"Because you and Virgil have been up since 2 am, and you need sleep," He says.

"That is preposterous-" He lays down next to me after turning off the lights.

He pushes a finger to my lips, "Sleeepppppp," He takes off his own glasses, and sets them next to mine on the nightstand.

"Patton, I seriously doubt that I will be able to fall asleep at the moment, it would be much more beneficial for me to eat and wait until nighttime to sleep. I have already disrupted my sleep schedule enough as is," I explain calmly.

His blurry face frowns slightly at me before he gets up and grabs his glasses, "Fine," I sit up as well and return my glasses to my face because running into a wall would be less than satisfactory.

I find Patton getting out the necessary ingredients for his 'Pattoncakes' and decide to stop him, "You do not need to make me breakfast," I point out.

"Yes, but I want to," He argues, getting to work.

I once again find myself smiling at his helpful and protective nature, "Could I at least assist you? I cannot remember the last time I've cooked something other than toast since moving in here."

"Hmmm, okay," He decides, breaking out into a wide grin, "Can you get a cup of water, the eggs, and half a stick of butter?" He asks as he reaches for a bowl.

"Of course," I looked around for the items he requested. He takes the butter from me and puts it in the microwave for several seconds, and dumping it in the large silver bowl he had gotten out, "Okay, can you crack open two eggs and put the yolks in the bowl?" He asks, looking around in the cabinets for several other utensils.

I follow his instructions and end up with uncomfortably sticky hands. He ends up figuratively walking me through the rest of the pancake-making process with little error. I decide to let Patton flip the pancakes over since having half-cooked pancakes on our roof and floor would not be preferable.

"You said you had a breakthrough earlier," Patton reminds me.

"Yes, Virgil and I had been struggling to figure out how to counter Deceit's power. Before you and Roman entered, I had the idea to create self-reflective goggles for all of us that would prevent Deceit from controlling us," I explain, admittedly excited by the revelation. He smiles smugly at me, "What is it?"

"You look really adorable when you talk smart," He states confidently.

My face warms, "O-oh."