Chapter 6

Virgil's POV

I'm woken up to the sound of car horns, when did I fall asleep? The last thing I remember was worrying that some homeless man was gonna assault me in the middle of the night. I guess my plan to pull an all-nighter failed, and I quickly checked my bag to make sure I wasn't robbed. Thankfully, I still have everything. I slowly push myself up, hearing a concerning amount of pops as I stretch. Real question, what now? I can't exactly stay with family or at a friend's house, and park benches aren't too safe or comfortable. In total, I've only got enough cash for a couple cups of coffee, not three meals. Not like I wanted to eat or anything. I can't believe that I punched Janus, now he's definitely gonna be after me. No loose ends, right? To be fair, the guy was plotting the deaths of millions of people like it was nothing, like they deserved it. I'd expect that from Remus, but Janus? And for what, just to prove a point? Just to show that he's dangerous, and possibly a bit insane. Maybe that's why he hangs around Remus, in comparison, he looks like a normal, sane person.

I step inside a local coffee shop after brushing my hair as well as I could with my hands, deciding to pass the time here drawing. At least I can enjoy sweet caffeine in relative peace, while a large dent is made in my wallet.

I could go to the heroes for help. Yeah, or I could not do that since they probably hate me. Even if they don't hate me, they'd arrest me on sight, but I can't let Janus get away with destroying the city, and the heroes would be my best bet at catching them. Great, so I get to choose between going to jail while taking Janus and Remus down with me, or I can just hide out and hope they don't seek revenge. God damnit, does it always suck this much to do the right thing?

Roman's POV

"Kiddos! Breakfast!" Patton calls from the kitchen, interrupting my beauty sleep. I stumble out of bed and brush my hair before going out to the kitchen/dining room.

No one is allowed to see me with a bed head, no one. Patton probably wouldn't care, but Logan would just point out how disheveled I look or whatever big word he would use. By the smell of it, Patton made muffins, eggs, and bacon.

"Salutations, Roman," Logan says, not bothering to look up from his book.

Patton looks over his shoulder, "Morning, Roman!" He says happily. At least one of us can be positive in the morning.

He sets a plate down in front of each of us, before taking his own seat next to Logan. Those two really need to realize that they have a crush on each other. It's been years since they've met, and still nothing, I've seen the way Logan hides a smile when Patton makes a good dad joke. Or the way Patton blushes whenever Logan compliments him.

"Hey dad, hey mom," I say, smirking as Logan sputters.

"Roman, that is not accurate in the slightest," He says, still blushing brightly.

I hum in thought, "Seems pretty accurate to me, what do you think, Pat?" He continues staring blankly at his plate, face bright red.

"Moving on, I have two tours to give at the planetarium tonight so I don't think I'll have time to accompany you two on our nightly patrol," Logan says.

"Ok, but I need the car at six to go see my cousin's play," I remind him.

"I would be alright with walking, it is also much more beneficial health-wise than driving."

Breakfast continues quietly, since Patton usually starts most of our conversations. Afterwards, Patton leaves for work while I do the dishes. Logan retreats to his room to work on some project, leaving me alone and bored. I could probably watch a Disney movie or two before work, so that's something. I decide to watch Beauty and the Beast, Belle may or may not have Stockholm Syndrome, but it's still an amazing movie!

Eighty-four minutes of pure Disney magic later, the credits begin to roll. A quick time-check reveals that I have an hour before my audition, which should be enough time to get ready. If I can nail this audition I'll be able to play Jeremy Heere from Be More Chill! Or the squip, but I'd rather not play the villain after all, I am a hero. I stumble through my usual routine, making sure I look perfect. Sure, appearances don't really matter in theater, your talent and voice do, but a prince has got to slay. Fifteen minutes before the auditions are supposed to start, I'm in my car driving off to the theater. After performing Voices In My Head with a theater friend of mine, Valerie, I sit backstage as the rest of the auditions finish up. Anxiety slowly rises in me, ready to overflow, as some pretty great singers audition for Jeremy. Any one of them could be chosen over me, and I don't think I did too great during the line-reading part of the audition. I'm much more confident and extroverted than Jeremy, and there are people here that would be much better suited for the role.

One of my old theater friends sits down next to me after he auditions. "Hey, Kyle," I say. Geez, I even sound defeated.

"What's got you so down? You crushed it out there! Like always," He mumbles the last part, avoiding eye contact.

"Thanks, you did great too, you'd make a good Jake," I responded.

"Are you saying I'm good at being a bully and overall sh!tty person?" He asks sarcastically, though I swear he looks slightly hurt at the idea.

I laugh, hoping to relieve his nerves. "You know what I meant," He laughs as I check my phone, seeing that it's almost six, "Oh shoot I gotta go, Jamie's play starts in like ten minutes," I quickly grab my things, letting the director know why I'm leaving, not exactly a good impression to make, but at least I'm going off to something theater related.

The school play is about as good as you'd expect from middle schoolers, but at least it's Disney. Specifically, the Little Mermaid as a play. It was pretty cute, so I enjoyed it, with Jamie as Ursula. After my family literally swarms her in the hall to congratulate her, I head home to meet up with Patton for night patrol. The fresh air is nice and you never know when evil may strike. 

A/N: Yeah scratch that whole thing about not uploading on Friday's. As long as I've got pre-written chapters, I should upload on Friday's.