Chapter 20: The Farmlands (Choromatsu v Karamatsu)

'So, then...where are you going first, (y/n)?'

"I don't know..." I hesitated a little, turning towards the door to my room as ideas of how to leave flooded my head. I could get out via the window, use the building to climb down to the street. I could try going through the kitchen door that was used for deliveries...though, the window would be much faster.

I didn't have a lot of time to waste wondering what my next move would be.

Taking in a deep breath, I stormed back to the open window, leaning out and looking for a safe way down. Nothing that I saw seemed to be a safe option, feeling myself grew more and more uncertain about climbing down from my window. What if I got hurt from landing wrong, or cut myself badly from a fall?

Why was I hesitating...?

I pushed myself out the window and grabbed onto the ledge, breaking through the weird fog that had settled in my mind. I shouldn't be uncertain about this -- I was going to try to save my friends and their brothers.

The old cast iron water pipes nearby would suffice for a way down.

Reaching the edge of the window ledge, I stretched out my right arm as far as it would go, feeling the old metal brush against the pads of my fingertips. Kicking my legs gently from side to side, I was able to reach a little further with the momentum, grasping one of the joints in the piping before taking a deep breath to calm down. The metal hurt to hold onto, but I clung to it like a lifeline as I released my left hand from the window ledge.

I miscalculated.

The joint was too weak to support me, falling loose as my body dropped suddenly towards the concrete. The piping groaned as a section of it fell with me, the joint still held by my hand.

I didn't have time to try to land on my feet, my voice locked up as I saw the concrete rush up to greet me.

I felt a pair of hands grab at my shirt, twisting me around and pulling me upwards slightly, the motion slowing my fall as the piping careened towards the ground beneath me. The hands shifted their grip and released me when I was only a few feet above the concrete, allowing me to land safely.

I could only blink for a moment before looking around for the person that helped me, only to see no one.

"Thank you," I called out to whoever it was, offering a silent prayer of thanks before heading out of the alley and turned towards the outskirts of the city.

The farmlands weren't completely surrounding the city, but they stretched out to the southwest. I had passed through them to get back here, walking the entire way without much pause. I remember it taking hours to get through them.

I could only hope that the brothers would be close by.

Running through the suburban areas, I saw darkness envelop the landscape beyond the sparsely built houses, the sidewalk ending at the last house and letting the road continue on alone into the dark night. It seemed like another world.

I slowed my pace as the sidewalk ended, catching my breath and walking on the empty road. It had taken about ten minutes to get here from the shelter, and I kept an eye out for anything that looked like a fight. Silence thundered against my ears as the city noises fell away behind me, making my way deeper into the dark farmlands.

A noise that sounded like a shout caught my ear, coming from somewhere to my right. I stilled and waited for another noise to confirm the direction, being rewarded with a scream from the same area. I couldn't imagine any of the brothers crying out in that high of a pitch, the scream almost sounding like a female. I slowed as my feet hit grooved dirt, knowing that I was walking through tilled earth and probably through someone's growing crop.