Chapter 18

Jyushimatsu sat quietly in the folding chair, his arms crossed over his lap as he looked at me with a wide, toothy smile. The smile didn't meet his eyes.

His dark hues regarded me as if I was someone not worth his time, and I couldn't hold his gaze. It felt heavy, like I was being judged for everything I had done and will do throughout my life.

"You're..." My mouth suddenly felt dry, as if I didn't drink anything for the whole day, "You're Jyushimatsu."

"I am," The smile somehow got wider, "You're (y/n), and you've been the source of a lot of trouble for us."

Karamatsu barely reacted as the words left Jyushimatsu's lips.

"I didn't mean to be," I looked down at my hands, suddenly finding them much more interesting than Jyushimatsu, "I just came back to get my feet underneath me again."

I could feel the pressure on me lift for a moment, allowing me to look up at Jyushimatsu. His eyes were closed and his head was partially tilted back to face the ceiling, a look of serene calm washing over his face before moving to face me.

"Things have been manipulated to send you here much earlier than anticipated," His dark hues locked onto my own, "There is an event coming soon that you don't need to see."

"'Soon'?" The dream from last night resurfaced in my head, "You mean...tomorrow night?"

"...yes."

"You want me to leave because you're going to fight my friends...?" I stood up, clenching my fists in anger at the whole situation, "You're kidding, right?"

"You've seen what they can do, and you know what we are. It shouldn't come to you as a surprise," Jyushimatsu remained calm while looking up at me, "They are demons, after all."

The words rang in my head, a truth that I had tried to deny staring me back in the face. Osomatsu, Todomatsu, and Choromatsu had somehow been possessed by some of the Princes of Hell. Their three other brothers were either angels or possessed by angels in response to that, and in less than twenty-four hours...

They were going to fight each other, and there was nothing that I'd be able to do about it. It wasn't my fight, nor was it really my problem.

I was going to lose my childhood friends.

"Are you sure that they aren't possessed, or anything that could be reversed...?" I looked towards Karamatsu and Ichimatsu, my stomach plummeting when they both turned away from me. If my sibling was possessed by something supernatural, I would do anything in my power to get them back...and who was I to say that they hadn't already tried?

The room remained quiet for a little bit longer, an uncomfortable feeling settling on my shoulders as I looked towards each of the three brothers. I wasn't supposed to be here, and I was dragged into a mess that shouldn't have concerned me.

What else was I supposed to do?

I sat back down on the couch heavily, my hands hiding my face in uncertainty as my brain tried to come up with a solution. A sudden wave of calm swept over me, like I had been through this before and I already knew what I needed to do.

This...feels familiar...

I looked towards the three men in front of me, their faces remaining the same but the clothing they were wearing had changed.

Jyushimatsu was wearing some kind of fancy three-piece outfit, a bright yellow color integrated into the black suit. The smile on his lips had finally met his eyes, and they lit up when we made eye contact, as if instantly gaining an entirely different personality.