Chapter 19

I quickly moved over to Nate's still form. He was still alive, but barely. I quickly mind linked a pack doctor. I looked over to the fighters who were sitting beside us, silently hoping their Alpha would be okay.

I shifted, not caring about being naked in front of anyone, and started petting Nate's wolf, "Please don't leave me..."

One of the fighters nuzzled Nate's paw, "I'm sorry... I should have disobeyed your order and helped you."

A few doctors arrived minutes later to bring Nate to the hospital. They gave me a spare gown so I wouldn't be naked. We arrived at the hospital and he was rushed to emergency. I had to wait in the waiting room again. I was left on my own with my thoughts. What if I joined the fight earlier? Could I have prevented this? I knew the answer was yes, but I tried to convince myself Nate would have wanted it to turn out like this instead of risking my safety. He probably would have blamed himself if I got hurt.

I suddenly felt very sick and I raced to the bathroom to throw up. After about five minutes, I stopped throwing up and returned to the waiting room. Probably just my emotions. A few more minutes passed and a nurse came over to me.

"You should go home and get rest." She said, "We should be able to help him, but he'll have to be here at least a few days."

"I'll sleep here if I have to." I answered quietly. I needed to be near him. I was also a little afraid to be alone in his house.

The nurse nodded and walked back to his room. On her way, I could faintly make out a doctor, "You shouldn't give her false hope. What if we were too late? He's lost a lot of blood."

I felt tears threatening to fall. I couldn't lose him. He saved my life, and showed me a life I never thought I could have. I leaned back in my chair and closed my eyes. Please don't leave me.

* * *

I woke up the next day with a sore neck. I hadn't realized I'd fallen asleep. I sat up in the chair and suddenly felt sick again. I went to the bathroom, and when I was finished, the nurse greeted me.

"Well, he's in a more stable condition." She said, "He hasn't woken up, but you can go in if you want."

I quickly agreed and followed her into his room. She left and closed the door as I sat beside him. He was now in his human form. He was covered almost head to toe in bandages. Most of his head was visible, but barely any of his body. There was an IV tube in his arm and a heart monitor was beeping away. It seemed a little slower than it should, but at least it was beeping at all.

I wanted to hold his hane, but I feared accidentally hurting him. I just stared helplessly at his still form.

"Nate..." I choked out, on the verge of tears again, "Stay with us... fight it... I need you..."

Soon I found the tears were streaming down my face. The silence was killing me. My fears were almost overpowering me. The heart minitor was the only thing keeping me sane in that moment.

"Delilah..." I jumped as I heard his weak voice. His eyes were still closed. I almost thought I imagined it.

"Nate?" I leaned closer to him.

"Delilah." He repeated, still keeping his eyes closed, "Are you okay?"

Even in this state, the first thing he asks is if I'm okay, "Yes." Is all I could get out.

"I'm sorry... I... should have had... the fighters help me..." Each word seemed to get weaker, "I could have gotten... you killed..."

"Save your energy." I pleaded, "I'm okay, but I want you to be okay too."

I chose not to explain that I finished the fight. The last thing I wanted was him going into a panic and losing all his energy.

"I'll be... fine..." He coughed out a chuckle, "I'm tough."

I stayed silent, wanting to believe him.