Soana frowned and looked at the rest of the apple in her hands.
"Here." She held the rest of the fruit out to him.

He shook his head.
"I don't want to be a moo-piggy. It yours. You have it."

But Soana persisted and stared at the starving boy.
"I'm alright. I still have some tree nuts left. You can have it."

Reid hesitated before he grabbed another slice and had it gone within a matter of seconds. Soana then gave him the rest of the fruit.
"Reid, what you saw before,"

He nodded his head, chewing his apple and holding his stuffed platypus bear.

"You can't tell your mother or anyone else, okay?"

"Why?" He chewed with his mouth open to speak.

"Because," Soana sighed.
"I ran away from home. They're looking for me but I can't go back."

"Why? Don't you love your family?"

Soana frowned.
"No, I love my family to death. It's just that there were certain problems I didn't want to face. I was to marry a person who was and still is a monster."

"Momma always told me that you have to face your problems, like the monster that lives in the kitchen closet. I told him to go away cause he was scaring me and he went away fast."

Soana chuckled but knew she couldn't get rid of the memory of Zuko by telling him to go away. He was always going to be after her even if she didn't want him near.

"Yeah, but my monster is meanest. You can't tell him to go away cause it only gives him a purpose to chase you; he thrives on fear."

Reid narrowed his eyes and punched his fist out.
"Then I will fight him for you! I'm not scared!"

Soana giggled at this child's bravery as he went back to gnawing on his last piece of apple.
"You're not just brave. You're very bold, Reid."

"What's going on?" Soana and Reid heard an exhausted voice say.

They looked towards the doorway to see Yuri peering into the room from the hallway.
"Reid, you're suppose to be asleep. You're going to be very tired later."

Reid frowned, finishing his fruit.
"Yeah, but I got hungry, momma. Soana let me have an apple."

Yuri didn't look to approve of this by the emotion she held. Her eyes shut then opened with a sigh.

"I'm sorry if he awoke you, Soana. He can be a handful sometimes."

"It's no problem. I was up anyways." She shrugged, wrapping her arm around Reid's shoulders.
"I was thinking about going shopping for food in a few hours. I heard if you're early enough you can get the good fruit and vegetables."

Yuri sent her a faint smile and crossed her arms in hesitation.
"I would, but we don't have anything to shop with. We can barely make it by with our monthly dues and I don't make enough from babysitting other people's children."

Yuri sighed.
"Although, I had assisted wealthy families before the Fire Nation invaded, I don't think I could do that here in Ba Sing Se."

Soana furrowed her brows.
"Why not? If you have the experience, then why don't they hire you?"

"I mean, look at me. I'm dressed in rags and covered in dirt all the time. I bathe once a week if I'm lucky and the last of my dresses have been burned along with my home."

"What if I helped you?"

Yuri raised her brows so far that her forehead wrinkled.
"Help me?"

Soana nodded.
"What if I helped you find a job?"

"That's very kind of you, but I'm not so sure if I should have you go to the trouble."

"But I insist. Not only am I going to help you find a job but I'm also going to provide for you and Reid in the meantime."

"No, I simply won't accept it."

"I wasn't asking, Yuri."

"And I wasn't asking for your help, Soana."
Yuri said, almost in a stern manner.
"I'm not going to have you throw your money away for us. When my husband comes back, he will provide for us and we will get back to our old lives."

"Yes, but your husband's not here and you don't know when he could come back. It could be days, weeks, or even months until he does. For now, at least let me help you since you're letting me live here with you and your son."

Yuri hesitated and bit her lip in thought.
"Just a few things." She pointed her fingers at Soana.
"But that's it! Nothing more!"

She smiled at the mother in achievement.
"Thank you, Yuri."