Chapter 42

There" Caroline said, securing the small flower in Lily's hair. Lily turned to look in the mirror and smiled. Caroline turned to see that Bonnie was finishing up with Elena's hair, having swept it back, allowing for a few pieces of hair to fall along her face. Those were then curled into delicate ringlets.

"Done" Bonnie said, turning Elena's chair so she could see herself in the mirror. "You look beautiful" Bonnie smiled, squeezing Elena's shoulder.

Elena looked at herself in the mirror in complete awe. Bonnie had done such a wonderful job with her hair and Caroline had done wonders with her makeup. Then Elena saw Lily in the mirror, standing behind her. Lily looked like a little angel, dressed in her green dress and her long curls falling down her back. "Look at you" Elena smiled, turning around so she could face her. "You look so beautiful" she said, grabbing Lily's hands.

"You look pretty too, Aunt Elena" she said, smiling brightly. Elena couldn't stop the tear that escaped her. That was the first time Lily had ever referred to her as her aunt. And it felt amazing.

"Ah ah ah, no crying" Caroline warned, shaking her finger. "You'll ruin your makeup" she reminded.

Elena carefully wiped at her tear before pulling Lily into a hug. "I love you so much" Elena whispered to her.

"I love you too" Lily said, trying to whisper as well. Elena finally let Lily go, holding her at arm's length and fixing the curls that she had crushed while hugging her.

A soft knock on the door startled all four girls. "They're ready" came Jeremy's voice. Elena took a deep breath before standing. Jeremy smiled at each one of them as they filed out of the room. Elena remained where she was though, figuring it would be a few minutes before she would have to begin walking.

Bonnie would be walking with Damon. Elena apologized profusely to Bonnie for this, though she knew that Stefan had made Damon promise to behave himself. Caroline was going to walk with Alaric and although this was not a setup, Caroline swore it was a setup.

Jeremy was going to walk with her. The ceremony, a vow renewal, was going to be more intimate than their first wedding. Elena felt like she could actually express how she felt with Stefan today in the close company of their friends and family. "You look beautiful" Jeremy said, smiling at her once more. Elena moved forward and pulled him into a hug before she began crying again. "Mom and Dad would be so happy right now" he told her quietly, hugging her tight.

Elena nodded. "I hope so" she said. "I'm so glad you're here" she added. "It means a lot to me."

Jeremy pulled away from her. "I wouldn't miss it" he smiled, grabbing her hand. "Come on. It's almost time" he told her, pulling her along. Elena took another long, deep breath as they stood just inside the backdoor, waiting. "You're not nervous, are you?" he asked.

Elena shook her head yes. "I just don't want to forget what I want to say" she said. She wanted it to be perfect. She wanted everyone to know how Stefan made her feel. But most importantly, she wanted Stefan to know, and she had a lifetime to tell him.

Jeremy squeezed her hand. "You won't" he assured her. The music began and Jeremy and Elena began walking.

By the time she was halfway there, Elena finally focused on everyone standing up front, waiting for her. Lily, standing in front of Bonnie, and Caroline behind them. Alaric standing behind Damon. And finally, Stefan standing in the center, his piercing green eyes glued to her from the moment he saw her.

Elena felt herself blush and had to focus on Jeremy. But soon, she had to let him go. He kissed her cheek and gave her hand to Stefan, eyeing him with a warning look that Stefan seemed to understand.