Chapter 9

The next few weeks went by without too many things to complain about. Elena had moved in to Stefan's room and shared his bed, though she opted to use her own bathroom after he "accidentally" walked in while she was showering. He had been a perfect gentleman while in bed with her too, remaining on his side of the bed and keeping his hands to himself. Most of the time. Some mornings she would wake up to his arms around her, his body against hers. Then she would huff, throw his arms off of her and get out of bed. No big deal though. She started to realize that he was pretty much harmless. Annoying and obnoxious, yes. But harmless all the same.

The mood between them had lightened up and they could hold actual conversations and be in the same room for more than five minutes without wanting to kill one another. Elena realized that she had a lot of time to go before she could be free of Stefan for good. So, she might as well make the best of it.

Elena walked in to the sitting room and passed by him on the couch, in search of her book. Stefan put his magazine down and stared at her. "And where are you off to?" he asked causally.

Elena was still searching. "I got called in to work the afternoon rush" she answered. "Have you seen my History book?" she asked.

"Nope" he replied. Elena came back towards him and searched under the table for it. When she bent over, he swung his leg out and kicked her in the backside.

"Hey!" she laughed, standing up quickly. "Knock it off. I'm going to be late" she said, bending down to look under all the papers he had. Stefan kicked her again. "Stefan!" she yelled, turning around and pointing her finger at him with narrowed eyes.

Stefan grabbed her finger. "What did I say about pointing this finger at me?" he asked, failing miserably at trying to sound serious.

Elena smiled. "You told me not to do it" she answered. "But I'm going to do it anyways" she shrugged. Stefan's foot came around the back of her knee to knock her off balance, sending her landing on top of him. "Stefan!" she yelled again, using his chest to push herself up.

"What?" he asked innocently. She groaned, though he could see a smile forming.

Elena checked her watch. "Now I'm really late" she told him, getting off of the couch. She walked across the room and grabbed her jacket. It was a ten minute walk to the bus stop and another ten minute ride on the bus. "Hey" he called out. Elena turned to face him. "Take my car" he said, tossing her the keys.

Elena caught them and smiled. "Seriously?" she asked. He was going to let her drive the Porsche?

"Just remember, if you put so much as even a tiny mark on it, I will end you" he told her. Elena shook her head and smiled, throwing a thank you over her shoulder as she went out the door. Stefan looked around the empty house and frowned. He had work he could be doing, but opted to do it later. With Elena gone, he was going to be pretty darn bored.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

The clock struck finally four o'clock and Elena sighed a deep sigh of relief, tossing her towel down on the counter. She never did understand why the place got so busy in the middle of the afternoon. She untied her apron, grabbed her bag, and waved goodbye to the manager. As she came around the counter, she nearly collided with someone.

"Hello Elena" Damon smiled, holding on to her arms to steady her. Elena immediately took a step back. What was he doing there? "Headed home?" he asked.

"None of your business" Elena said, crossing her arms.

Damon smiled again. "Actually it is my business" he said, pulling Lily out from behind him. Elena hadn't even seen her there. "I need a favor. I would normally ask Stefan, but since I have you here and I am in a rush, you will have to do" he said.