Have you ever had one of those days? ch-2

Have you ever had one of those days? Chapter 2

My head pounded as the alarm clock went off. Damn what a nightmare I had. I crawled up from my tiny bed. Being a student did exactly give you tons of money to throw around. I had found this quiet little one bedroom apartment this past semester. It was a few blocks from school but just around the corner from the clinic. Since I spent most of my time there already it made sense. The rent was low and a nice friendly couple owned a deli down stairs that sold killer sandwiches. Just thinking about them made my mouth water.

Glancing out my one and only window in the living room I noticed it was still dark out. What was going on? I turned back to my room and the clock read a few minutes past eight but it was P.M not A.M. What? I have over slept before but not by twelve hours. Still not believing the time I flipped open my lap top, my clock was right. Damn, I had missed a lecture at noon and I was supposed to turn in a paper by the morning for another class. My night would now be spent typing up my paper instead of going out. Fur Ball walked in and hissed at me.

"What's a matter boy? Are you mad I wasn't up to feed you?" I reach for him but he hissed again and darted out of the room. Stupid cat! He can just go hungry for all I care but I was starving. I poured a bowl of cereal and pulled the jug of milk out of the fridge. After letting my shredded wheat soak in the milk for a few minutes I scooped a big bite and shoved it in my mouth; almost instantly spitting it back into the bowl. Ewe it was nasty, I must have bought sour milk because I just bought it yesterday morning. I eyed the jug for a date but it was still good. My day was so very crappy why not add spoiled milk to the list. After considering the situation I decided to shower and change so I could grab a sandwich from the deli. Maybe a cold shower would wake me up, I still felt so tired.

It didn't seem to help though. I pulled on my favorite jeans and a hoodie. It was chilly in my apartment the furnace must be broken. Mentally I made note to tell the landlord about that. Stopping by the dresser I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My hair seemed a little shiner as I pulled it up in a ponytail; must be that new shampoo working. My eyes however looked so hollow and sunken in. I was working too much but I just had another semester to push through for my degree. Besides what did I care I didn't have or want a boyfriend right now.

Leaving the apartment I noticed a small boy standing in the street. He was about seven or eight playing with a ball. To young to be out this late it was going on ten.

"Hey! Get out of the street before you get run over!" I called to him from the sidewalk. He turned toward me giving a grin. "Do you want to get yourself killed?"

Stopping the ball as it bounced up he cocked his head to the side. "They are watching you Carrie."

"What are you talking about?" Now I was confused and he still didn't move. Someone laughed behind me. I turned quickly but know one was there. Turning back to the street the boy was gone too. That was just plain eerie so I hurried on my way.

The door bell jingled as I walked in to the deli.  A few people still lingered in the small shop eating and drinking coffee. A worker stood behind the counter humming a song as he sliced meat on a machine. The lights seemed so bright and caused my head to ache. Stepping up to the counter I ordered a sub to go and a large coffee to keep me awake.

While I waited the door jingled again. My head turned to the noise; it was a group of boys about my age. They wore probably college students that had just left a party. All three of them looked sexy but almost like clones. They all wore jeans and leather coats. Each one had their dark hair trimmed short and styled perfectly. As they came closer I noticed the one in the back smiling and then he whispered in the other ear. Feeling awkward I turned back to the counter.

The worker stood there humming his song still. His hand moving to the different bins building my sandwich. I gave him a weak smile as he finished and brought it up front. As I dug in my pocket for some cash he spoke.

"Do you think you can hide from them Carrie?"

"What?" My head jerked around to meet his gaze.

"Do you need a creamer for your coffee?"

"What did you say before?"

"I asked if you needed a creamer. Do you?"

I shook my head no and dropped the money in his hand. Was I hearing things as well? The boys blocked my path so I tried to excuse myself politely. The two in the front stepped aside but the one in the back held his ground. I tried to walk past him but his eyes caught mine. They were a vibrant green and stared back into mine. Our shoulders brushed and suddenly images flooded my mind. His hands sliding up my back pulling me to him as our naked flesh met. His lips crushing mine as I ached for him. As suddenly as they began they ended. I blushed in embarrassment as I continued to walk.

Closing my door I slide to the floor in exhaustion. What was wrong with me? Was I losing my mind one person at a time? I could go see a doctor in the morning. Maybe I had had some kind of mental break down from all the stress. No I just needed some rest. Standing I opened the bag but it spelled disgusting. After throwing it down on the counter I went back to bed.

I woke up that next morning with what felt like a hang over. Cringing to the bright light coming in the living room window I slipped on my shoes and headed to the clinic.

"You don't look so good Miss Winters." Frank called to me as I passed his desk.

"Yeah I'm coming down with something."

I walked to the back where the doctor would be. Only I found Mathew sitting at a desk going over files. He cocked his head to the side when I approached.

"I thought you were off till this weekend?"

"I am. I just need to see the doc for a minute. I think I coming down with the flu."

"Oh yeah you do look like crap."

"Thanks." I sarcastically called back.

"Could you sign off on that girl from the other night though before you leave?"

"What girl?"

He picked up a folder, "uh, Ariel is all she has down for a name."

That was a dream. She was a dream. Wasn't she? That was all just some screwed up dream right? Any of the great psychologist would say it was a figment of my over worked mind; A delusion. I impulsively touched my neck as my heart raced on.