"You know what I have learned these past few months?" she asked, ignoring his attempt to convince her that he had changed. Though she hated thinking about Stefan right now, she could not help it. "I learned that it is okay to disagree with someone you love. I learned that I don't have to be hit or kicked when I come home. Stefan showed me what it was like to live again. To be me. To be supported and loved" she said confidently. "I don't want back what I had with you, Derrick. I don't want you in my life!" she stated firmly before grabbing her purse and standing. "Stay away from me. Or I will take legal action" she warned.

Derrick stood this time too, facing her and staring at her closely. "I can't stay away from you" he told her, all pleading and regret having left his voice. She noticed the shift in his demeanor right away.

A chill ran through Elena, but she reminded herself that there were people nearby and that he couldn't hurt her. "Go tell it to your therapist" she said, moving to go around him.

But Derrick blocked her path again. "I didn't want to have to go this route Elena, but it seems that you have left me no choice" he said. He looked around to make sure no one would hear him. "That note I sent through the kitchen window? It wasn't a threat. I will kill Stefan" he explained to her. Elena felt her throat dry up at the thought. "So here is what you are going to do. Go back to his place. Pack your bag, and meet me at the old abandoned warehouse at the end of town. Don't tell anyone, Elena" he warned.

Elena struggled to swallow. "And if I don't show up?" Elena asked.

Derrick sighed. He hated that she had gained her defiance back. "I have someone sitting outside of Stefan's place right now with a sniper rifle. He's hidden and he has a clear shot on Stefan as we speak" he explained without even blinking. "All I have to do is send a quick text and you can start planning Stefan's funeral" he told her. Elena looked shocked in her frozen state, but he knew that she was still listening to him. "You can also explain to that little girl why her uncle had to die" he added.

Elena's eyes quickly shot up to Derricks. Lily. She couldn't lose her uncle. And Stefan. He didn't deserve to die because he happened to stumble across and marry the wrong girl. "When am I supposed to meet you?" she asked.

"Tomorrow" Derrick answered. "Five o'clock."

Elena shook her head. "That's too soon" she told him. Derrick pulled out his phone in a threatening manner. "Give me until Saturday" she negotiated. That would give her two days. Two days to prepare to leave. Two days to say goodbye without saying goodbye.

Derrick thought for a moment before nodding. "Saturday at five" he told her. "Don't do anything stupid in the meantime" he told her, stepping aside to let her leave.

Elena gave him one more cautious glance before she left. When she walked outside and hit the cold air, tears cascaded down her cheeks while she walked to the bus. She cursed herself for being so weak. She had come into this meeting with confidence and ended up leaving feeling just as powerless as she was when she was with Derrick. But she brought Derrick into Stefan's life. She therefore put Stefan's life at risk. It was her responsibility now to protect him.

Two days. Just two

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Elena's eyes closed tightly as the bitter tasting liquid ran down her throat. She wasn't even sure what she was drinking anymore. The bartender kept pouring her something every time she smacked her hand down on the counter. She was not completely drunk yet, but that was the goal. Tomorrow night, she would be leaving with Derrick. Stefan probably wouldn't even notice. Hell, she had been at the bar for over an hour and he had not come looking for her. The again, he would be in the city the next day meeting with important people for the company. By the time he got home, she'd be long gone. "Again" Elena said, slapping her hand down on the countertop.