Meeting: Law

Winter hit the land hard this year.

The wind was constantly howling as loud as the Wendigos were, and the sheer cold of the weather almost overpowered your fire spells, which were the only thing keeping you safe from the harsh winter.

Unfortunately, you had to leave your house due to the lack of ingredients in your kitchen's cabinets. You may hate the cold, but you hate being hungry even more. Your largest and fluffiest coat did little to protect your body, but it was better than nothing.

Teleporting to the closest market was an option, however the current shower of snow hindered your focus to locate a good spot to teleport to. Thus, you have to walk by foot to get to your destination.

The path from your mansion to the nearest village was long, but it was not a total hassle to get from point A to point B. Under different circumstances, you would enjoy the view of Mother Nature as you walked along the gravel and dirt. But right now, you despised your likeliness for the outdoors; if it weren't for that, you'd have thought twice about setting up home in the middle of a forest.

Too late to turn back now.

A pillar smoke is seen over the horizon and the quaint, rustic houses of the village begin to pop up. Thank goodness you finally reached it.

Despite the snow, the market square was still bustling with its usual vendors and costumers. Conversations are light and friendly. The emerald-green countryside is much more charming than those jungles of metal and asphalt.

You chat with people, but your priority is to get what you need and go home. Your stomach demanded it!

By the time you were done, buildings began to turn on their lights, indicating that night was approaching. Not wanting to be stuck in the darkness, you hurried on over to the route that would lead you back home.

Then you stopped.

There was something lurking in the alleyway to your right. It was so faint and weak. The magic possessed by whoever it was was dwindling like withering flowers.

Curiosity flooded your system instead of suspicion. There was no need to fear the possibility of being killed; you are immortal.

You tiptoed into the shadows in between the two buildings. The space was narrow, but you were able to walk through it without having to move along the wall. The end was pretty far, however you did not have to go in too deep to see where the source is.

A loud hiss echoed through the alleyway, and you looked down. You stepped on a tail. A very white, black-spotted, furry tail. Huh. You followed from its end to the body it was attached to and-

It was a kid.

Inside this worn down cardboard box was a pale child with dark yellow eyes and black hair, who wore clothes that were most definitely not appropriate for winter.

Then you realized, that he was the source of the frail magic. You want to help, but you could not comfort him. His hostile stance and slitted pupils were obvious indicators that he did not want you near him.

First attempt: talking.

"Hey little one," you greeted softly, "I'm sorry for stepping on your tail earlier. I didn't mean to ruin your fur."

An even louder hiss was the response you got. You notice the fluffy ears that sat on his head. He was some sort of cat breed, you did not know which, but his ears were currently flattened.

He was scared of you.

Second attempt: offerings.

You scour through the bags of your groceries until you hand makes contact with the packet of fish you bought earlier. The child's eyes followed your gaze and spots the raw fish. You watch his reaction.