26 | Graduation

"I still can't believe you got out of wearing heels," Olivia says, crossing her arms over her chest. She's wearing a navy blue summer dress that skims right above her knees, paired with wedges that make her even taller.

Laughing, I look down at my new Vans. Even though Hudson's the one graduating high school today, he'd bought me baby blue Old Skool Vans yesterday to celebrate me becoming a senior.

No way was I wearing heels and he knew it. Plus, I'm taking pictures for the school and there's no way I can do that and walk in heels at the same time.

"Hey guys!" Elea chirps, walking up to us in her nude heels and white sundress. Her eyes look over my pink romper. "I love that the straps tie at the shoulder!"

"Thanks!" I say, smiling in return. "My mom picked it out."

"Oh, we know," Olivia says, playfully rolling her eyes as Elea and I laugh.

We continue to talk amongst the three of us as families fill the seats around us. My parents and Olivia's parents are sitting with Jaden's family for the ceremony. After, everyone's heading to our house to celebrate Hudson and Jaden graduating high school. Elea's mom and her boyfriend plan on coming too after he gets off work.

Suddenly, a pair of strong arms wrap around my waist, causing me to rock side to side. Tilting my head to the side, I see Axel grinning down at me. "Hey, Conley."

Before I can respond, both of my best friends squeal, causing Axel and me to look away from each other and at them. After Axel had asked me to be his girlfriend, I immediately FaceTimed both of them as soon as I had gotten home and had an awkward interaction with my brother. As soon as I walked through the door, Hudson and Jaden knew somehow. Jaden answered with "finally," and Hudson looked like he wanted to gag, but he got over it.

"We'll see you two love birds later," Olivia says, wiggling her fingers at us as she and Elea walk away to go sit down.

Once they're gone, Axel pulls me closer and kisses me on top of the head. "You look beautiful," he says, playing with the tie on my shoulder and making my skin tingle.

Blushing from his comment, I look away. "Thank you. You look good too," I say, smiling up at him. And he does. He's wearing a button down shirt and he'd gotten his hair cut. The top of his hair was the same length it was before, but the sides were cut shorter. He winks at me when I realize I've been staring at him for the past several seconds. "Stop it!"

Smirking, he throws an arm around my shoulders. "Remember, I like to see you embarrassed?"

"Mhm."

"Mhm," he mocks.

Just when I'm about to respond, we see Jared at the same time. He's all dressed in his security guard uniform with his hands on his hips, surveying the crowd. The day I saw Jared in Mr. Higgins office talking about graduation had to be about Jared being here. On duty.

This man is literally a security guard everywhere I go.

"What'd you do this time?" Axel asks jokingly.

I glare at him. "I did nothing."

"Mhm," Axel mocks again.

He dodges my arm as I try to punch him. "Go find your seat," I mumble.

Axel leans closer, making my stomach flutter. "Why? Am I making you nervous?"

My cheeks heat up again when I remember him asking me the same question in the men's bathroom that exact day I saw Jared at our school. Fun times.

"I'll take that as a yes." He grins before giving me a peck on the lips. "I'll see you later, Conley." He walks away and heads towards the spot that the basketball team is sitting at to support Jaden and Hudson.