16 | Lots of I Love Yous

Something brushes against my forehead. A strand of my hair moves across my nose, tickling it. I scrunch my nose and rub my eyes to wake myself up.

Sitting up slowly, I take in my surroundings. I'm in Axel's car that's parked behind the car Hudson and I share. My house is located just outside the window with the porch light on, making the front door visible. I yawn and stretch my arms out in front of me, checking the time on the radio. I've been gone all day.

"Hey sleepyhead." Axel sits in the driver's seat of his car, facing me. The upward twitching of the corner of his mouth is noticeable because of the bluish white light that comes from his dashboard.

I give him a shy smile in return, but end up yawning again. The last bit of sunlight slowly disappears as the moon shines brightly, not a single cloud in the sky.

Suddenly, I realize I forgot to text my mom.

Crap.

My backpack sits on the floorboard between my legs. I reach for my bag but the seat belt catches me, jerking me back towards the seat. "Argh!"

"You okay?" Axel asks, holding back a laugh.

"I need to check my phone. I forgot to look at it today." My phone buzzes as my hand lands on it.

"I texted Hudson earlier. Told him I drove by the cemetery and offered to give you a ride."

I glance up at Axel in surprise, not even checking to see who texted me. His blue eyes stay on me for a split second and then shift to looking out the windshield. His left hand sits on the steering wheel while his thumb taps the leather material.

"Can I ask you something?" he whispers.

Slowly I nod my head, not even sure I heard him. "Yes."

"Why does Hudson worry about you so much? Is it because of what happened?"

He's referring to the accident. I'm silent as I try to process what to say. There's a lot I could say.

Finally, Axel looks at me while keeping his hand on the steering wheel. "The day he told you not to skimboard is the day I noticed just how much he worries about you." I wait as he continues. "Then Jaden said something to Hudson about having to let you go eventually. What did he mean by that?"

So that's what Jaden had said to Hudson that day. A sad smile crosses my face as I look down at my hands in my lap. "I think Jaden was basically telling Hudson that he's not always going to be able to protect me. Hudson wasn't always like this. In fact, he was the one encouraging me to get out and try new things." I smile, thinking about the memories. "But," I pause, "I think after he saw me almost get hit with that car, it changed him. Hudson, Jaden, and Olivia all saw it happen. It changed all of us." He pales at my words. "Did Landon not tell you that they saw it happen?"

He shakes his head no. "He just told me he heard that accident and when he turned around he saw you standing in the intersection, staring at the car."

Sighing, I let out a shaky breath I had been keeping in. "I think Hudson will always do what he can to protect me. Even if it's the little things like knowing where I am, making sure I have a ride home at night, not skimboarding when no one's watching. Even though I'm right by the shore." I roll my eyes at my last comment.

Axel laughs and it makes me smile.

"You know, I don't blame him for wanting to always protect you. Even if some of it is silly to you and everyone else," he says quietly, looking out his window now.

His words startle me, causing my heart to beat a little faster. "How come?" Please be honest with me.

His eyes find mine and for the second time tonight, he shows me a new side of him. Shyness. "Because you're pretty special."