Chapter 18

It wasn't long before backup pro-heroes and emergency services arrived at the summer camp, they worked quickly to gather all the students and rush the incapacitated ones into ambulances and detain the villains who had been knocked out. Kokoro had been rushed into an ambulance as well, she didn't remember most of the ride, fading in and out of consciousness as the vehicle sped down the road to the nearest hospital.

She just hoped the students were safe.

***

When Kokoro finally came to she was laying in a hospital bed, the birds chirping just outside the window. It looked to be sometime in the afternoon. How long had she been out? Was everyone okay?

She took a moment to assess her condition. Her head wasn't throbbing anymore which was a good sign. Her shoulder was sore— they had probably popped it back into place while she was out— and her leg was in a cast. Across from her, there was a tv playing the news, specifically the events of the summer camp attack. From what she could see on the screen it looked like reporters were swarming the front gate of the school.

"Kowareta, you're awake." A voice said, and Kokoro looked over to the door to see Tsukauchi and All Might walking into the room.

"How long have I been out?" Kokoro asked as they walked to her bedside.

"About a day. Do you mind answering some questions?" Tsukauchi asked.

"Can you... tell me about the students first? Are they okay?" Kokoro asked.

The two looked at each other before looking at Kokoro, a look of remorse in their eyes. "Most of the students are okay. A few of them were knocked out by the gas and two students suffered from serious injury but are recovering well. One student..." Tsukauchi trailed off.

"What happened?" Kokoro asked, her voice cracking, "Tsukauchi what happened?"

"The Leauge of Villains managed to successfully kidnap him."

Kokoro shot upwards, wincing at the pain in her shoulder and ribs from the sudden movement. She had definitely broken a few ribs as well.

"Kowareta, please, take it easy." All Might said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"How can I take is easy when one of my students has been kidnapped?" Kokoro asked. "Who is it. Who did they get?"

"I know how you must feel, but the best thing you can do right now is answer my questions."

Kokoro looked at him as she tightened her fists, "Not before you tell me who was kidnapped."

Tsukauchi frowned but nodded, "The student's name is Bakugo Katsuki."

Kokoro gritted her teeth as anger welled up inside her, "Those bastards. They're going to pay for taking one of my students."

"Ms. Kowareta, please. We need to ask you a few questions." Tsukauchi said.

Kokoro tensed and bit her inner cheek before answering, "Fine. I'll answer your questions."

"Thank you. What exactly happened the night of the attack?"

Kokoro told him exactly what had happened, everything from dinner to the Test of Courage. "It was my idea, I thought it would help ease them into the Super move training we would have them do later in the week. If I hadn't suggested it they wouldn't of been separated in the forest. If I had known I would of never suggested something like that." She reached up and rand a hand through her hair with her uninjured hand, "God... was it... my fault that they were able to get Bakugo?"

"There was no way you could of known that would happen, unless you were a part of it."

Kokoro shook her head, "I know what you might be thinking. That I'm a traitor to UA. But let your quirk settle this for you. I'm not a traitor and I would never do anything that would put those kids in danger. I swore on my life that I'd protect those kids."

Tsukauchi was quiet for a second before he nodded, "I understand."

The next twenty minutes consisted of Kokoro answering questions, all centering about what happened that night. The last of the questions consisted of how her suppressor broke off and if she had used her quirk. She answered honestly telling them that the suppressor had broken upon impact from one of the villains attacks, and she had used her quirk on the two villains out of rage upon hearing that the villains intended to hurt— even kill some of the students.

"Thank you for answering everything. We'll let you rest." Tsukauchi said.

"Wait, one last thing."

"Hm?"

"Before I'm locked up again, can I say bye to the students first? I don't want to disappear on them."

"Locked up?"

"I used my quirk and I don't have my supressor. One of the conditions said that if any of those happened I'd be sent back immediately."

"About that." This time it was All Might speaking, "It is not yet decided on whether or not you're going to be locked up again. After hearing from Mandalay and Tiger, Nezu has decided to take some time to decide on what will happen with you."

Kokoro's eyes widened, "So... there's a chance I could be staying at U.A?"

"It's very slim but there's still a chance."

Kokoro felt her eyes start to water as a hint of hope entered her heart. Sure, it was still only a slim chance, but it was still a chance.

***

Later that evening, Kokoro was sitting in her hospital bed when she heard a knock at the door. She looked over to see it slide open to reveal a familiar pro hero.

"Aizawa. It's nice to see you."

"How're you feeling?" Aizawa asked as the two of them walked up to stand beside her bed.

"Tired, sore, but what can I expect after everything that went down. I'm just lucky I didn't loose any limbs. Anyways, you look fine, at least you're not in any bandages so I can only assume the damage dealt to you was emotional."

"Very funny." Aizawa said. "I came to thank you."

Kokoro looked at him in surprise, "Thank me?" She asked.

"I heard from Mandalay and Tiger about what had happened while you were fighting the villains. You put your life on the line to keep them from harming any of the students."

Kokoro just gave him a small smile, "It was nothing really, I was just doing my job. It's too bad though."

"Hm?"

"I might have to leave. I mean, my suppressor did break off and I did use my quirk after all. It's a shame though, it was nice being free."

"You're not going to be locked up, not if I have anything to do about it."

"What do you mean?"

"It's obvious the students like you, they seem to actually enjoy the lessons you teach, even Kaminari has an A in your class. Not to mention it'd be illogical to get a new teacher when the students respond so well to your teaching, and we can't just get rid of the classes you teach so suddenly. You deserve to be at UA."

Kokoro looked at him her cheeks warming up ever so slightly. "I guess you do have a point. Though all I can do now is have hope." Her voice cracked near the end of her sentence, and for a split second her expression dropped.

Aizawa nodded, "I'll keep you updated. I have something to attend to so I'll let you rest."

Kokoro smiled and nodded, "Of course. I'll be seeing you, then." She waved as he walked out of the room.

Before he stepped out of the room, he glanced over his shoulder at her, pausing in his steps as he did so. Kokoro was still smiling, but for a split second he could of sworn he saw her eyes flash and some kind of figure appear behind her, eyes glowing amber.