IX - Shrimpzilla Leads Us to Camp Fish-Blood

Annabeth gave Leo the coordinates while Jason, Percy, and I kept the wind and the sea pushing us along.

After about two hours, we decided we were far enough from the danger and could slow down. All three of us collapsed against the mast. There were black dots dancing around, making my vision blurry. Also, the world was upside down and spinning.

Piper and Annabeth brought some water, which made me feel a bit better. Everyone gathered at the mast.

Frank scowled like he was trying hard to turn into a bulldog. "No sign of pursuit," he said.

"Or land," Hazel added. She looked a little green.

I felt nervous. Even though the Romans weren't chasing us anymore, we still couldn't count on any help from Camp Half-Blood.

Leo turned to Annabeth. "Did you find the map you wanted?"

She nodded, though she looked pale. I wondered what she'd seen at Fort Sumter that could have shaken her up so badly.

"I'll have to study it," she said, as if that was the end of the subject. "How far are we from those coordinates?"

"At top rowing speed, about an hour," Leo said. "Any idea what we're looking for?"

"No," she admitted. "Percy and Alaia?"

I raised my head.

"The Nereid said Chiron's brothers were there, and they'd want to hear about that aquarium in Atlanta. I don't know what she meant, but..." He paused like he'd used up all his energy saying that much.

"She also warned me to be careful," I continued for him. "Keto, the goddess at the aquarium: she's the mother of sea monsters. She might be stuck in Atlanta, but she can still send her children after us. The Nereid said we should expect an attack."

"Wonderful," Frank muttered.

Jason tried to stand, which wasn't a good idea. Piper grabbed him to keep him from falling over, and he slid back down the mast.

"Can we get the ship aloft?" he asked. "If we could fly—"

"That'd be great," Leo said. "Except Festus tells me the port aerial stabilizer got pulverized when the ship raked against the dock at Fort Sumter."

"We were in a hurry," Annabeth said. "Trying to save you."

"And saving me is a very noble cause," Leo agreed. "I'm just saying, it'll take some time to fix. Until then, we're not flying anywhere."

Percy flexed his shoulders and winced. "Fine with me."

"The sea is good," I agreed.

"Speak for yourself." Hazel glanced at the evening sun, which was almost to the horizon. "We need to go fast. We've burned another day, and Nico only has three more left."

"We can do it," Leo promised. "We can make it to Rome in three days—assuming, you know, nothing unexpected happens."

Frank grunted. He looked like he was still working on that bulldog transformation. "Is there any good news?"

"Actually, yes," Leo said. "According to Festus, our flying table, Buford, made it back safely while we were in Charleston, so those eagles didn't get him. Unfortunately, he lost the laundry bag with your pants."

"Dang it!" Frank barked, which I figured was probably severe profanity for him.

I would've laughed, but a wave of nausea swept over me. Percy doubled over and groaned.

"Did the world just turn upside down?" he asked. I burst out laughing. "What?"

"The world turned upside down," I sang. "The world turned upside down, down, down, down, down--"

"No--" Percy groaned.

"Down, down, down--"

"What is she singing?" I heard Hazel ask.

"It's from Hamilton," Annabeth replied.

"The world turned upside... down!" I finished, and I would've bowed if I hadn't been sitting down.

"Okay, and we're done," Percy said. "Point is, the world is upside down."