Elena held on to what Caroline had just said for a moment, trying to figure out if she believed that or not. Then she realized that it didn't matter. Because in a few months, they would go their separate ways. What she would let herself believe though, was that Stefan was a great guy and that he would make some girl really happy one day. Because that was the right thing to think. "I'd do anything for him, too" she admitted. It wasn't really a lie, either.

Elena noticed that Caroline looked like she was getting teary eyed. "That makes me really happy to hear. After what happened with ..." she began, but then quickly cut herself off.

Elena reached across the table and grabbed her hand. "He told me what happened with Katherine. Damon. Lily. Everything" she said quietly.

Caroline nodded. "He was so crushed. He wanted Lily more than anything" Caroline said, dabbing at her eyes with the sleeve of her jacket. Then she looked seriously at Elena. "Just promise me you won't hurt him like she did" Caroline said, tightening her hand around Elena's.

Elena swallowed hard, but forced herself to nod. She and Stefan had no way to hurt one another because what they had was strictly a business arrangement. With sex thrown in. But she figured that was just to keep the physical tension at bay. "I don't want to hurt him" she said quietly.

Caroline smiled. "I guess I shouldn't be sitting here thinking that you're the lucky one" she told Elena. "Because clearly, he's the lucky one to have found you." Elena couldn't think of any other response but a smile. She was thankful when the food came and Caroline went back to bouncing from topic to topic.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Stefan and Alaric sat out back on the deck, a drink in one hand, and a hand of cards in the other. A casual, relaxed game of poker was in order. "So how are things going with Elena?' Alaric asked.

Stefan nodded, discarding two cards. "Good."

Alaric nodded. "I can assume that she still won't have sex with you?" he asked, discarding one card.

To this, Stefan just laughed. "Oh, we've slept together" he answered, tossing in a few chips. Alaric raised his eyebrow out of surprise. "I told you. All I had to do was get her into bed once. Now, it's effortless" he said, watching Alaric add a few chips in. Both nodded and laid down their cards. Stefan smiled. "You're losing your touch."

Alaric muttered a few words under his breath before taking the cards and shuffling them. "See, I don't think it was like that" Alaric challenged. Stefan took a sip of his drink, eyeing him closely. "We both know it's different with Elena" he said.

"And what makes you think that?" Stefan asked, keeping his cards on the table.

"You are falling in love with her" Alaric said, a knowing expression coloring his face. He watched Stefan's face tighten before his eyes lost contact with Alaric.

"You're crazy" Stefan said, picking up his cards. "She's just some girl that's going to help me get rich" he stated.

Alaric picked up his own cards and examined them. "Okay, fine. Tell me this. If Elena needed life-saving surgery and it was going to cost 12 million dollars, would you let her die so you could keep your money?" he asked.

Stefan glared at him. "What the hell kind of surgery costs 12 million dollars?" he challenged.

"Just answer the question" Alaric said pointedly.

Stefan threw his cards down in frustration. "Well I'm not a total heartless bastard!" he said loudly. "So yes, I would use my 12 million to pay for her life-serving surgery." To be honest, the situation was sort of similar to the present. Him paying large sums of money for a PI to follow Derrick so Elena would be safe.