"Funny how when rogue tensions are at an all-time high, you're entertaining a one in your inner circle," Rob digs, side-eyeing Jude. This seems to strike a bit of a nerve as Chris loosens his grip and takes a small step back.

"He's not part of the problem," Chris deflects. "These two are off limits, understood?" His eyes darken by the moment as his threat hangs heavy in the air.

Brute straightens up, giving me an intense, knowing look and smirks. "Have you finally decided to live a little and have some fun Christo-"

*Crack!*

Chris's fist connects with Rob's jaw, cutting him off before he can finish. It lands with such force he staggers back before throwing his hands up.

"Okay, okay. I went too far," Rob pants out as he rubs his jaw. He seems satisfied with pushing Chris over the edge. "You win."

"Think it's time you guys head out," Chris warns, balling his fists. His eyes never leave Rob's as his gaze darkens.

Rob arches his brow and deliberately scans the area. "We are on neutral ground, or did you forget?" There is no mistaking the challenge in his voice.

"If you value our alliance, you will get lost before I really lose my patience," Chris growls as he takes a threatening step forward.

"Fortunately, I value our friendship far too much to let a little disagreement cause any unnecessary problems. Have fun, Chris." Rob's eyes linger on me, making me feel sick. Jace growls as the two cronies fall into step behind him.

"Make sure they leave Xavier," Chris orders, finally starting to relax as he turns his attention to me.

"You okay, baby?" He opens his arms, calling for me.

Without hesitation I go to him, sheltering in his safety. He wraps me up, burying his head in my neck as I hide my face in his chest, listening to his steady breathing. Chris strokes my hair, waiting for me to calm down.

"What was all that?" Sara chimes in, having just arrived with Claire as the men leave. Jace waves her off.

Chris pulls back and lifts my chin, his hazel eyes searching mine. "What happened?" I hesitate, not knowing what to say to not make this any worse.

"He cornered Jess, and they dragged her back here. That's when I caught up to them," Jude growls, rubbing his knuckles.

Jude to the rescue, thank God.

"This isn't the first time, either. He's gone after her twice at the market, too." There's no mistaking the anger in Jude's voice, nor the hate for Rob.

Chris scowls and balls his fist. "I'll take care of him, allies or not."

"Why are you friends with him?" I ask, confused.

"I wouldn't call him a friend," Chris spits. "His father and my father were allies. After we took over as alphas, we just upheld the treaty."

Having regained my composure, I let Chris go and turned to Jude. Fortunately, he has no damage visible from the fight. "Thanks Jude, I -"

He cuts me off with a wave. "You know I've got you covered," he smiles, blue eyes twinkling.

Chris wraps a protective arm around me and gives Jude an appreciative nod. "Come on, let's get out of here."

"No," I say, shaking my head. Everyone turns to me. "We were having a good time. He's not going to chase me home and ruin it," I say, clenching my jaw.

"You sure?" Jace questions, grey eyes full of concern.