Chapter 1: Rising

I pulled the brush through my hair, staring out over the sea. The waves rolled, crashing against the rocky cliffs which my home stood on. The dim fires in the wolf pits flickered. I sighed. It was my home, it always would be, but it wasn't the same without him. I glanced over at the cold, empty side of my bed. It had been empty for over two thousand years. For an elf such as myself, it should seem no time at all, but I was missing my husband. Though he was evil, according to most, misguided to me, he was still my husband and I missed his face, his voice, his touch.
A knock sounded from my door.
"Come in!" I replied.
My son, Beleg, poked his head into the room. He looked nervous, but he always was. As my husband's son, many mistrusted him. It had always been like that, though all prejudices were not founded in truth. His hair hung down, curly and loose.
"Beleg?" I set the brush down.
"Natar, I-I apologize for such an early intrusion, but Gandalf is at the door. He told me it was urgent," my son nervously brushed his hair back.
"Alright. Tell him I'll be down promptly," I nodded, getting off the bed.
"Alright. I'll entertain him until then."
My son ducked into the hallway, his golden hair disappearing downstairs. I sighed, my quiet morning shattered. I quickly shrugged into a nice golden tunic and black pants.  I decided if Gandalf had urgent news, I shouldn't waste time doing my hair.
When I arrive in the ground floor parlor, Gandalf is pacing anxiously, looking as disheveled as always. My son sat on a sofa, watching Gandalf pacing. He noticed me first, his face splitting with a smile.
"Natar!" he cut the tense silence.
Gandalf stopped pacing and looked up at me. I walked over to him, anxious to hear what he had to say.
"Lord Misha" he greeted me.
"Gandalf," I nodded. "What news do you have?"
"Dark. Evil is spreading, orcs and goblins are getting bolder. Something has stirred them. A Necromancer resides at Dol Guldur. Lady Galadriel has asked me to check the tombs," Gandalf told me.
"I wondered how long it would be," I sighed, sitting down next to Beleg.
"Do you think it's Atar?" Beleg looked at me.
"I do not know. I won't be sure until I see this with my own eyes," I shook my head.
"Will you come with me to Dol Guldur, then?" Gandalf gripped his staff.
"I will. Give me half an hour," I got up to pack.
When I had all the essentials, I met Gandalf and Beleg again. Beleg gave me my horse and I mounted her. Gandalf was already on his. Beleg looked at me, almost at eye level.
"Be safe," he whispered.
"And you, my son," I smiled.
Gandalf and I set off. We rode for a few days, before Gandalf led me to the edge of Mirkwood.
"What is it?" I asked, frowning.
"Do you feel it?" Gandalf looked back at me.
"I do. The evil is darkening the forest," I nodded.
"I sent Thorin Oakenshield's company in a few days ago," Gandalf explained. "I went in a ways and on a tree I found a symbol."
My hands flew up to the necklace that never left my neck. It swung out under my cloak.
"The very same," Gandalf sighed.
My husband had made the necklace for me. Its pendant was the symbol of his house. It had been a wedding gift. Someone had had the gall to graffiti the red eye that sent fear into most beings. It was not a comforting sign.
"Let us go to the tombs, then. Time is of the essence," I said, spurring my horse.
Gandalf followed and we raced off to the fortress.
When we reached the mountain tombs, the clouds were gray and ominous. We quickly went up the mountain to check on the tombs of the Nine. Inside it was musty and dark. Gandalf summoned light from his staff. I crept in at his side. After a quick examination, my stomach dropped. I swallowed the fear.
"Empty," I whispered,not wanting to break the ominous silence.
"We've been blind..." Gandalf muttered. "The Nazgul have been summoned to Dol Guldur."
"And they only answer to him," I pursed my lips.
"Then Azog is no mere hunter. He is a commander. War marches for Erebor," Gandalf quickly hurried out into the open air.
I followed him out, though I was in less haste. Gandalf looked back at me as he mounted his horse.
"I cannot abandon my friends," he said.
"Nor should you. Do what you must. I can find my own way," I assured him.
Gandalf bobbed his head and took off. I frowned, deciding what I should do next. The kingdoms needed to be warned. I decided to start with Mirkwood, as darkness was already overtaking the forest. I quickly set off.
I arrived again at the Elven Gate. I let my horse run home to Barad Ando, where she would be safe. I stepped into the forest, the air so thick it was hard to breath. I began following the path, when I was saw the red graffiti on a tree trunk. I traced the lines with my finger, hoping that Mairon would tell me something. I knew it was no use, though. Mairon hadn't talked to me in over a thousand years. It hurt to admit that.
I steeled myself and continued to the palace. When I crossed the bridge, the guards at the door pointed their spears at me.
"Who are you?" they asked in Sindarin.
"I think you know," I replied, showing them my telltale pendant.
The elves gasped, their grip on their spears tightening. I sighed.
"I bring no evil," I said. "I only seek an audience with your king."
"We are not to open the doors for anybody," one guard replied.
"You'll make an exception," I sent them my intimidating glare.
The guards gulped and stepped aside, opening the doors. I nodded gratefully to them as I passed.
The halls of Mirkwood were more bridges. It reminded me of Doriath, and I had no doubt that was what they were trying to invoke. King Thranduil was on his feet, having seen the doors open. I walked calmly up to the foot of the throne.
"What is this?" Thranduil growled.
"How are you, King Thranduil?" I asked, pushing the hood of my cloak back.
Thranduil gasped, before shoving his shock down.
"The Dark Lord finally shows their face," he scowled, sitting back down on his throne.
"Leave the sarcasm, boy," I warned. "And I am no Dark Lord."
"Why have you come?" Thranduil asked.
"To warn you."
"Oh?"
"My husband is growing stronger by the day. Have you not felt the oppression in the air?"
"I rarely venture out."
"Fool. The Nine have been called to Dol Guldur. This is the main event we've been dreading. If you stay holed up in your faux-Doriath, your people will die."
"You are wrong. My people are safe here."
"Many kings claimed that. All are dead. Choose your moves carefully, Oropherion. You have been warned."
I put my hood back on and left Mirkwood.

How was it? Good, bad? I like it, personally. Sorry it took so long... As always, thanks. Please vote, comment, whatever. My tumblr is peacockwinchester. Bai, loves!
From the desk (phone) of Mishmish Barnes,
dracoline