48| The Avid Breakout

Start from the beginning

He pursed his lips into a thin line and smiled. "Damien didn't allow me to have one." For once Damien had made a thoughtful decision concerning Dylan; I would never want him to handle a gun.

"Caden?!" Damien screamed deterrently.

"What am I supposed to do?!" He yelled back at him.

A loud thundering, cracking sound filled the atmosphere, hushing all the gunmen present in the area. All of us ducked as if lightning was falling from the sky. We all turned to look in the direction of the noise, and saw several vehicals rushing to us.

Wait, was that...the police?!

Soon enough, we realised that several police cars had broken right through the main gate of the facility and were gradually surrounding the whole area from all directions. Sirens blared painfully in our ears, red and blue lights bouncing off the facility, under the greying evening sky.

We were all fucked.

Involuntarily, I put my hands on my head.

The doors of the police cars slammed open and an announcement reached our ears. "Drop your weapons and put your hands on your head-"

Our enemies began shooting at them without a flinch, completely forgetting about us.

My friends backed away, Dylan helping me along the way. A few policemen approached behind us and before I stretched my arms in front so they could handcuff me, they patted Caden's back in a frenzy.

"Are you guys okay?!" The elder policeman asked.

"Huh?" I raised my eyebrows.

"All of you, go on ahead," the younger policeman said, pulling us back from the shooting scene, "We'll handle it from here."

A black SUV darted through all the gunfire and skidded to a stop right in front of all us. The window rolled down and almost instantly, I lost count of all my shocks that day.

"Alexandra Bancroft?!" All of us asked at the same time, except Caden.

Alexandra stuck her head out of the SUV. "Ugh! Just hurry up get in!"

I knew Caden and Alexandra were secretly sleeping together! I just knew it!

Enemies poured in from all directions and giving a tough time even to the policemen. Caden began pushing us into the SUV immediately. "C'mon! I'll explain later!"

Jovan backed away. "I'll help out here."

I pulled away from Dylan's grip, looking wretchedly at Jovan, who I had always respected and cared for. I opened my mouth to argue but he interrupted me.

"See you later, son." He smiled, pulling out two pistols and walking away to help the policemen. I attempted to stop him but Raymond grabbed me, his eyes urging me to let Jovan go, and determinedly hauled me toward the SUV.

Breanna pulled Damien into the backseat, Dylan and Raymond helped me climb into the middle, squashing me between them, while Caden got into the passenger seat beside Alexandra.

There was space between Breanna and Damien in the back seat. Jovan could've easily fit there. Tears formed in my eyes as my friends adjusted me so my wounds would hurt less.

My eyes landed on some of our enemies climbing into cars while looking at us. "Umm...guys?"

Alexandra saw it and immediately revved the engines, Caden chanting distressingly as the SUV gathered speed. "Go, go, go!"

The evening sky was stained red, night falling upon us. The sun still peaked betwixt the skyscrapers stretching into the heavens, a calm stillness blanketing the atmosphere, and a cold breeze leading the birds to their shelters.