2| The Masquerade Mishap

Thanks for all the support on this book so far and I hope you stick with me till the end ;)

If there's anything about my writing style/plot that you think needs improvement then please hit me up! I welcome criticism with open arms! XO

ALSO, the quotes that I put at the beginning of the chapter are in the point of view of the person who the chapter is dedicated to, THUS I don't always agree with the quotes (especially Carlton's) I'm not a brat I promise! Especially the quote in chapter 1, listen to your parents, kids!

Hit me up if you want me to check out your book, I have a few books pending and I'm very busy, but I'll surely check it out ^^

Enjoy the read!

Love, K

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dedicated to:jenniejohnson2345

I ain't gonna thank you cause you're my bestie and if you don't read my book then you suck at being human so yeah

"Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive."

~ hallofquotes.com

Carlton's POV

"I have had the opportunity to interact with Caden Hargrave personally," exclaimed Alexandra, daughter of the man who broke the industrial community by reaching the pinnacle of his career, Albrecht Bancroft, "We have even worked on several projects together."

"That's interesting," I replied, making an utmost effort to sound attentive while she discussed my twenty-six-year-old angel of a brother, who was about four years older than me.

"He never talks about you, why is that?" Alexandra's eyes were fixated on me as we walked in the hotel gardens.

The coldness of the night overpowered the air conditioning inside the enormous hotel edifice. I felt a chill run down my spine as I questioned my decision to walk out of the hotel, but at least it kept me away from those unimportant people who were gawking at me. Yes, I dress to steal glances but it gets annoying sometimes.

"Not going to answer? I see," she smiled slightly, looking up at the uneventful, starless night sky, "I sense some tension in your brotherhood. I apologize for asking."

That was not the problem, it was just that I wasn't interested in discussing anything that involved my brother. But again, I was here to represent him and the thought of that disgusted me.

Moreover, the vast amount of information Alexandra had on my brother made it a blatant fact that they might have dated sometime in the recent past. So I needed to bear in mind that I was, no doubt, conversing with my brother's ex.

"You're quiet." Her gaze directed back towards me, but this time she did that thing with her bright blue eyes again where she didn't open her eyelids completely, showing off her long eyelashes casting long shadows on her cheeks. She dug her stare deep into my eyes as if she was looking for something.

She took slow and steady steps forward, never taking her eyes away from my face. She circled me, hypnotizing me, and stood in front of me until she blocked my path.

But unfortunately for her, I knew the dangerous ploy she was using - her stare would psychologically make me uncomfortable, coax me to speak up and tell her everything out of an unperceivable fear.