Cruel Intentions- Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

I picked up my gun for the first time since the incident. I gripped it tightly in my hand and let out a shaky breath. I ran my finger smoothly over the top of my gun then placed my palm firmly over the gun while my fingers gripped tightly and cocked it. I slowly, but steadily, lifted my hand up and aimed towards my target while turning my body to the side since I didn't have the balance of my left arm to help me.

Once I had the target lined up, I place my finger on the trigger and closed my eyes. I took a deep, calming breath and just as I was slowly letting it out I snapped my eyes open and squeezed the trigger.

I felt the pull of the gun slightly jerk my body as the vibrations rattled through my hand. The sound of the gun echoed through my ears bringing back every little detail of the moment Maverick and I shot each other. It was coming as flashes.

Flash.

Running towards Nate screaming his name.

Flash.

His eyes widening in fear.

Flash.

The sound of the gun shot as I turned around.

Flash.

The feel of the bullet piercing my skin.

Flash.

Pulling the trigger as I started to fall.

Flash.

Maverick falling into the subway, looking at me astonished.

Flash.

The searing pain I felt as Nate caught me in his arms.

"Liv. Liv, are you okay!?" I faintly heard a voice off in the distance.

"Snap out of it Liv!" the voice seemed closer.

Right after the voice spoke I felt a sharp pain on my cheek.

I shook my head a few times and blinked my eyes.

Nate appeared in my vision looking half amused, half concerned.

"Slap me again, and you just might not walk away with that bloody hand next time." I glared at him as I rubbed the heel of my hand against my face since my hand still held the gun.

"I'll take my chances. Besides, I was thinking, and don't you dare bite my head off for the suggestion, that you might be open-minded to talking to someone, a professional someone..." he trailed off as he took my gun out of my slightly trembling hand and tucked in into the waistline of his jeans.

"I'm fine." I replied as I looked over my shot.

"Oh yeaahh, real convincing Liv. have you even had one decent night of sleep with out waking up in a cold sweat from a night terror?" he asked and grabbed my chin firmly in his hand to make me look at him.