~11~

I see a giant metal gate through the fog, and next to it embedded on the brick wall that lined either side of the gate, some sort of lever. I hum thoughtfully as I approach it and grab the lever, yanking it down.

After I do that, a loud creaking noise emits from the gate.

"So I am doing this right."

I thought, but then again, opening the gate was a pretty simple task.

Literally just pull the lever, and bam.

I guess I had just expected myself to somehow end up screwing it up.

The creaking gets louder, and the longer I keep holding the lever down, the more my arm starts to ache. 

"This. Is. Taking. Forever."

I grumbled to myself in irritation, feeling my grip begin to weaken. But as soon as I hear Ace's scream echo, I suddenly have the strength to keep holding the lever down, the pain in my arm quickly forgotten.

I guess he wasn't able to get to Steve and got caught in the process.

I purse my lips, guilt tugging at me for not going with him.

After another few minutes, these loud beeps sound from the gate and I wince, the strange noises far from pleasing to the ear.

I jump out of surprise and let go of the lever when the gate rattles, sluggishly beginning to open.

Something that sounded like a deep chime rings from the sky and I turn around, looking up. I see a strange orange glow tint the sky, and what appeared to be smoldering ash began to fall. When I look back down, the grass and snow were beginning to have the same bright orange radiance, looking as if hot coals were burning within it.

Oddly enough, the snow didn't melt.

I walk a few feet away from the opened gate, squinting through the fog.

"Maybe they weren't dead?"

I thought, trying to have some sort of unrealistic hope for the two of them.

Recalling the screams I heard, I rethought it.

"Now, why are you still here?"

A soft spoken voice laced with the slightest bit of humor asks. I quickly spun around, my eyes widening and my heart rate quickening.

It was her.

She was standing much closer than she was before, now only mere inches away.

I feel a tingle go down my spine as I take in her enthralling appearance yet again.

She was covered in blood, her soft pink pair matted in some places with it, and my eyes widen even more. I hesitantly step forward, reaching out towards her in concern.

"You're covered in blood, are you hurt?"

I ask, looking her over, but no major wounds were visible except for small scrapes and scratches on her legs where the tights were ripped.

She stiffens as my hand extended towards her, and just looks at it. She makes no move to come closer, then looks back up at me.

"Bold question to be asking me, {Y/N}. Even bolder for you to be standing in front of me with no fear. Don't you want to run?"

The way she said my name in that low tone sent yet another shiver down my spine, and I make no move to drop my hand.

"Why would I run from her?"