~6~

Claudette and I return to the camp a few hours later, each carrying two bowls filled to the brim with berries and other herbs. After the Jake situation, she hugged me and showed me what edible berries and herbs were the easiest to find.

It's a lot easier to remember things when you can actually see them, rather than when they're scribbled illustrations messily drawn in ink. It really did take my mind off of the situation, and I was thankful to have someone like her as a friend.

Thinking of it now, she was the only one here who I could even call close. Even though we didn't know much about each other yet, we talked a bit whenever we were gathering. It was a comforting feeling knowing that I actually had someone in a place like this.

Her and I kinda just instantly clicked. It was a strange sort of bond that I don't feel as if I had ever experienced in my "past life," since the feeling is so unfamiliar, but heart warming to experience.

And I mean that in the most "no homo" way possible, we're here to entertain this Entity with our pain and suffering, so that leaves no room for that romance.

I frown and let out a low huff to myself. It really seemed like the last thing anyone would need here. Plus I didn't really think I felt that sort of attraction towards her, I just thought she was pretty.

"Really pretty."

After passing by the tents and me nearly tripping over certain areas of uneven ground a few times, we're finally back by the campfire. I hadn't seen Jake the whole walk here, which was a huge relief. I was planning on staying away from the asshole as much as I could, and briefly looking around once more, I double checked that he wasn't here.

With a relieved smile making its way onto my face that he wasn't yet, we walked to a long wooden table that was by the fire, and put down our bowls. We mostly collected blackberries, elderberries, clovers, and even some mushrooms.

I was actually quite shocked by the size of the mushrooms, which were almost the size of my fist. I never really liked them, but I felt like I could deal with eating anything here.

Yes, I was that hungry.

We had already cleaned them at the creek, so that part was done. All we had to do now was split everything up into the other bowls on the table. Basically, we just had to organize them by what they were. It seemed like it would be easy enough.

Well, and roast the mushrooms but that's after we're done with this part.

I didn't see any of Jake's contributions to the camp at the table, so I assumed he was still there out and I wouldn't be seeing him anytime soon.

Well, hopefully at least.

Steve comes to help us, since he was bored and claimed that he also wanted to "get to know me."

Whatever that meant.

Not like I remembered everything about myself.

"Do you remember your name yet?"

I mentally roll my eyes.

"There we go."

I thought, slightly amused. He looking up from his pile at me, waiting for an answer. He was sorting dandelions and wild strawberries, which were quite small.

Just as I was about to answer, Claudette pauses her herb sorting and speaks up.

"Dwight would've called a camp meeting if she had."

She reminds him, and I look over to her, tilting my head to the side a bit.

"Why a meeting? It's not that big of a deal, is it?"

Claudette and Steve look at each other for moment, and Claudette speaks again.

"Well actually, it is," she spoke slowly, then began to explain, "It's one of the only events that we can really even celebrate. We don't always get new survivors, so when they do remember their name it's a big deal, I guess."

I hum, and look back at my berries, seeing that I had made quite the dent dent in my pile and didn't even realize it. Though I was feeling sort of tired, the warmth of the fire, smell of berries, and having these two to talk with sent a cozy feeling blooming through my chest.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't know what else to ask."

Steve mumbled, and gets back to working on his portion was well.

I hum, wondering when or even if I would remember my name. Pausing my work, I look back up at Claudette.

"Um... how long does it usually take for people to remember their names?"

She paused as well, pursing her lips and looking up at me with serious chocolate eyes.

"Well... usually not this long... people usually remember it a few hours after initially waking up."

A heavy sigh escapes my lips, feeling disappointed. So I was probably the only person whose taken this long to remember their damn name.

"Greaaat."

"Look I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, right Claudette?"

Steve tried to reassure me, and I now looked at him. He had an awkward smile on his face, and Claudette stayed silent.

"Right, Claudette?"

He repeated through clenched teeth, trying to keep up his smile. She slaps her palms against the wooden table, causing it to shake a bit. The noise caused a few other survivors to glance our way.

"Dammit Steve, would you stop? I don't wanna lie and say it is when there's a chance it might not be. This whole situation is kinda strange. Besides, if it doesn't come back to you, you can just make up a new name."

Claudette pushes her glasses up, and huffs. I blink slowly at the idea.

"A new name?"

I say carefully, processing this. After a few moments of consideration I hum thoughtfully, murmuring to myself.

"That's not such a bad idea, actually."

Steve's awkward, forced smile turns into a real, genuine one.

"Or until you remember we could just come up with a nickname for ya. Can't guarantee you'd like it, though."

Claudette laughs at that, then says something under her breath. Steve, somehow having heard, covers his mouth, eyes wide. I glare playfully at them, soon resting my gaze on her.

"No, no. Say it again, louder this time."

I challenged her, and she covers her mouth with the palm of her hand, trying to muffle her laughter. Once she calms down enough to catch her breath, she dares to speak the nickname she has in mind for me.

"Sunshine."

~~~

{AN}:
i changed the title from
As the Fog Creeps In
to Feral Frenzy (: