[35] The Temple Tales VI : Wails And Wandering

Start from the beginning

"We will, sister. We will." Emily said, her voice probably shaking in sympathy.

My lips parted in sadness and pity until I gasped at the sudden realization.

Did she call her sister lovingly or was it truly Reveka?

The girl started sobbing hard while the others may be carried her as a lot of shuffling and grunts were heard.

I didn't move a single inch when they passed the corridors.

When the voices turned faint and it got completely silent, I finally let out a sigh.

Taking support of the wall, I looked up and thought about my motives for tonight. I hadn't done a single round of this temple to look for the ashes. All I did was, getting scared and hiding.

I was of no use to Chelsea.

What was the point of climbing all the way to this temple and not finding out the secrets?

But this darkness was cutting through my courage. All I could wish for was to go to bed and sleep the night away.

I couldn't do that. I needed to go back and look Chelsea in the eye. I needed to smirk at myself in the mirror. I needed to be better than this.

Wiping the warm tears that escaped smoothly off my cheeks, I quietly got up and took out the lantern from the pot. It didn't create much noise and I started tiptoeing back towards the main corridor. Peeking towards the right where the space was empty in front of Severa's statue, I took a long breath.

Walking close to the wall, I got closer to the main hall where the girls were dancing in the evening. Peeking back at the stairs, no one was there now.

It risen my confidence and I almost reached the statue.

For a moment, I thanked the six girls for not being real. As now I could easily look around Severa's feet. But they did scare the shit out of me. I still had to wonder if it was a trick or something.

My head raised a little to take a peek of Severa's radiant face. But nothing was visible in the darkness. This made it scarier for me. Because I kept imagining her features more bold and dark.

Glancing down at her feet, I walked closer and forwarded the arm with the lantern. Shivers ran down my spine when I saw the carved nails and skin of her feet. The shape of the fingers and toes were so beautifully defined.

The roses from the evening dance were still there. I walked passed them to reach the statue and gulped hard in uncertainty.

Bending down, I hurriedly moved my hands around her feet, touching every space. As they were big and finely carved. The floor around them was checked too.

But nothing seemed related to the ashes. If the ashes were buried inside the floor beneath her feet, then I was a lost cause. Nothing could be done.

All that left now was moving away from here and exploring the other sections of the temples.

I hadn't gone towards the left side of the temple and thus, without wasting any more time, I started walking between the pillars.

The mirror image of the stairs that I had left behind was right ahead of me. But that would only lead me to the upper floor I knew. Thus, I took the corrupt and explored the ground floor hurriedly. Taking the first ever right turn, I found the wide corridor full of so many doors.

As I walked passed them hurriedly, I could feel the sweat beads trickling down my forehead while the throat was chilled with continuously harsh breathing. The gusts of wind were so chilled. Everything around was so dark and cold.