31. I Promise

THIRTY-ONE I PROMISE

◥✥◤

Night had fallen and Norman's stomach was wrenching with the thought of where John B was and what he had gotten himself into. They had sat in his front yard, waiting for him to get back or at least call, but he never did. Eventually, it seemed Kie had enough.

"No more fucking sitting around," Kiara exclaimed in a burst of anger that interrupted the silent worry that had fallen over the group. "Let's get in the boat, we're riding over to Figure Eight. We're gonna find out where John B is, I'm not waiting for him to come back to us. If he had killed someone, I'm pretty sure we would have heard of it by now, right?"

Norman nodded, "Yeah, definitely. I'm on board with your idea, Kie, I'm sick of sitting around waiting. Not when he's out there alone and pissed off like that, he shouldn't be alone right now."

"Especially after thinking his dad was alive this whole time," JJ muttered, his voice sadder than it was angry or worried. It was times like this Norman remembered how close John B and JJ were -- even despite recent events. "I'm down."

Pope nodded, "Me too. Let's go."

Without another word, they piled into the boat as Pope drove them over to the Cameron's dock. The closer they got the more Norman began to remember when things weren't this bad. He was fairly sure that ever since finding the gold, they were cursed. He remembered fondly how he and John B had first gotten into a fight on the docks, leading to both of them falling into the water at five in the morning. Back before they even dared to call themselves friends. It was strange how much could change in such little time. They parked the boat at the dock, next to the Cameron's significantly larger boat. They could see the house from here and its lights were on and Norman was really hoping that was a good sign.

"What now?" JJ asked with a sigh, "We just go up to the front door and ask, "Hey, have you seen John B?""

Kiara, who had kept her anxious gaze on the house, whipped around to face JJ, "Look, he lives at Tannyhill now. It's plausible. Look, we can play dumb."

"Play dumb?" the blond asked, sounding unimpressed with the idea.

Pope sighed, "It's pretty late."

Norman shrugged, trying to stay on Kiara's side, "Look, it's not that outlandish for his friends to stop by where he lives to look for him. Kie has a good point."

"Thanks, Rocky," the girl sighed, sounding exhausted just like the rest of them, "Look, I've never seen John B like that. We should honestly be going to the cops."

"The cop-- and say what, Kie?" JJ challenged, getting increasingly frustrated, "We're worried about our friend because he's on a rampage because Ward Cameron killed Big John?"