28. Tough Guy

TWENTY-EIGHT TOUGH GUY

◥✥◤

Driving down the highway at high speeds made the feeling in Norman's stomach much worse as they continued on. He tried to trust the people around him, but his gut was telling him this was all wrong. He had never stepped foot in a pawn shop before today (when you're rich already, it's not a place you frequent) but even he had a feeling they didn't keep money in a warehouse in the middle of nowhere.

"So, they keep money out here?" Kie asked, sounding about as sketched out as Norman felt.

Pope shrugged, "That's what she said."

"That's what she said," JJ repeated with a chuckle earning a chastising from Pope. Even then, the blond continued to chuckle to himself. Norman wished they would take this seriously.

"I've never even heard of Resurrection Drive," Sarah added, sounding lighthearted but still confused. So, maybe Norman wasn't the only one with a bad feeling.

Norman nodded, "Yeah, me neither. I mean, we've all lived here our whole lives, how are there even roads we don't know?"

"It's 'cause you guys are rich," JJ said with an easy shrug as he went to pull out a blunt. Norman was so stressed he had half a mind to ask him to share, but he decided against it.

Kie sighed, her eyes glued to the scenery out the window, muttering, "There's nothing but weeds out here."

JJ scoffed, clearly still going along with this for some reason, "All right, just 'cause it's just weeds doesn't mean it's like--"

He was cut off by the sound of a siren going off behind them. Norman was fairly sure Sheriff Peterkin never sent her men this far out on the island, not with such little civilization.

Kie furrowed her brow, clearly having the same thought process as Norman, "Cops? Out here?"

"God, are you kidding me?" JJ exclaimed, hiding his weed under the seat with an exasperated groan. Of course, that's what he was worried about out of all the weird things going on currently.

"What did we do?" Sarah asked as she looked back, confused as ever.

"Stash that," John B exclaimed, referring to the gold, "Did you bring the gun?"

"Oh, Jesus Christ," Norman muttered, "We're doomed."

"No, I didn't bring the gun," JJ exclaimed, clearly getting frustrated, "Everybody told me to leave it back at the place."

Kie sighed, "Thank God."

"Okay, put everything else in your bag," Pope instructed. Norman watched carefully as the door to the car that pulled them over opened the door. They stashed the bag under the seat right as Pope said, "He's walking up!"