15. Beat Him To It

FIFTEEN BEAT HIM TO IT

◥✥◤

The ferry ride home was probably the most awkward thing to happen in recent weeks. Norman was silent as he stared out at the gloomy waves, listening as Sarah and John B spoke. He was angry at the boy and in a way, felt like they were back at square one with their friendship. One loose thread and it all came tearing apart. Typical, Norman apparently couldn't have anything good when it came to Pogues and he had been foolish to think otherwise.

As the sun rose above the sea, Sarah did her best to break up the awkwardness with conversation as her eyes darted nervously between the two boys. He couldn't be sure she hadn't heard every aspect of their conversation, but if she had she hadn't asked any questions about it. She just knew something was off.

"My dad's gonna kill me for being out all night," she groaned, trying to start a conversation, "but at least we completed the mission."

"Yeah, yeah," John B sighed, avoiding Norman entirely. Norman was used to blind hatred and biting remarks, but never complete avoidance. "You know, speaking of the mission, you're not as bad as I thought you'd be. Unlike someone."

Norman scoffed, but he refrained from saying anything because he didn't even want to dignify that with a response. He could claim John B was being immature, but he couldn't really say much better for himself.

"Well, what'd you expect?" Sarah asked with a small chuckle, "And don't be mean. I don't know what's going on with you guys, but I'm already tired of it. Just until we get to the shore, then you guys can hate each other or whatever's happening here as much as you like. Okay?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?" the brunet sighed, "but fine, just until we get back to the island."

"Rocky?" Sarah asked with a parental tone in her voice to which he shrugged. "Awesome. Now, John B, I was going to say you weren't what I expected either, but I'm starting to forget that the more you two act like children."

John B gasped, looking offended, "I am not acting like a child! He is!"

"Oh, that is rich coming from you," Norman retorted, to which Sarah groaned, taking a seat under the eaves.

"Enough! Jesus, can you guys not be mature for five seconds?"

Both of the boys grumbled but ultimately quieted. It was strange to be fighting with John B again. It had only been a few days, but it felt odd to be right back where they started -- especially when so much had happened. So many things had been said. Maybe that was what was making their reactions so disproportionate -- just because so much had happened. There was more to unravel than there was when it was just blind hatred.