17 » in the works

For once, I dreaded the end of the school day. I watched the clock, a pit growing in my stomach as the hands crept closer and closer to 2:30. The rest of the weekend and Monday had flown by, and before I knew it, Tuesday afternoon had come around and it was once again time for me to tutor Maddox.

I hadn't spoken to him since the party. I'd been texting Kieran all weekend, first to apologize for my embarrassing breakdown and then to gauge how things were with Maddox after their practice yesterday. Maddox wasn't one to hold grudges, unlike yours truly, but even he had a breaking point. However, Kieran said he had seemed fine at practice. Maybe I had imagined the look on his face at the party when he'd caught Kieran and I making out in his kitchen.

That was another awkward conversation waiting to happen. Kieran had been gracious enough to not say anything yet, but I knew it was only a matter of time. I let out a sigh, irritated at myself for orchestrating all these uncomfortable situations.

"Are you okay?" Rose frowned, half-looking at me and half-watching the teacher to make sure she wouldn't get busted for talking in class. Ever the studious one, that girl was.

"Fine," I grumbled. "Just thinking about how much of a screw-up I am."

Felicity, on my other side, leaned over. "Self-pity is not a good look on you." She was back to being her chipper self, any and all embarrassment from this weekend hidden behind immaculate curls and a dangerous layer of mascara. She also hadn't bothered to lower her voice, clearly uncaring of whether or not she got called out for disrupting class. "What's up with you anyway? Is it the whole Maddox situation? Because you have a boyfriend and he should understand that."

Add being a bad friend to my growing list of mistakes. I had given Rose and Felicity only part of the story, considering they were still unaware that Kieran and I weren't actually dating.

"Felicity, how would you feel if Ashton was dating someone else?" Rose countered.

Felicity's face tightened. "He can do whatever he wants. I dumped him, remember?"

The bell rang, inciting a flurry of activity around us as our classmates scrambled to freedom. I, on the other hand, felt even more trapped.

"Look, just say you're sick," Felicity suggested, swinging her backpack over her shoulders.

"I've been in class all day. If I tell Mrs. Harris that now, she'll know something's up." I gathered my things and headed toward the door with the other two following close behind.

"I hate to say it, but I think you're just going to have to face the music," Rose said, though not unsympathetically. "Maddox is a sweet guy. I'm sure whatever happens won't be that bad." She pushed the door open and we stepped into the busy hallway.

"Good luck!" Felicity called, as the two of them headed for the parking lot. "We'll see you at practice."

I waved at them, turning in the direction of the library. Mrs. Harris was in her usual spot behind the counter when I walked through the spacious area. She smiled at me in greeting. I returned it with less enthusiasm, but thankfully she didn't say anything.

Maddox's school let out later than ours, so I had half an hour to kill before he would arrive. About five minutes into my stats homework, though, I realized being productive was a futile endeavor. Too many thoughts were swirling through my mind. A UNC scout was coming to watch our game this weekend, which was against Marissa and Eden's team; I needed to have awkward conversations with both Kieran and Maddox, and I was three chapters behind in Don Quixote for Spanish class.

"Hey." I flinched, nearly tossing my pencil across the library. Maddox smiled sheepishly, having come up to the table without me noticing. He grabbed the chair beside me and took a seat. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."