Chapter Thirty

Monday

Fry didn’t show up for work today. I don’t know if this can cost him his job, but after seeing, and realizing, that nobody gave a damn about his sudden absence, not even the Chief, I decided to pretend and ignore my feelings. But deep inside, I was the most affected in the building.

I was worried, so worried I was beginning to feel neurotic. By early afternoon, I was jumpy, I couldn’t think straight. I couldn’t write. My eyes darted around the room, to the Chief’s office, to the worktables, everywhere. It was insane. I was insane.

On the surface of course everything was supposed to be fine. Everyone was supposed to be doing their jobs. It was supposed to be a normal day—heck, Dina made half the workroom piss themselves laughing. Then I realized, it was all really stupid. And I felt stupid. What the heck’s wrong with these people? What the heck’s wrong with me?

So I sought the company of the only people around here who’s got any sense. The Sentinels. I talked to Liam, and he told me he’s doing the best he can to find Fry. Apparently Greg Horan’s frat boys are still in search of him. I hope they won’t just give up. Zayn, had this idea of sending a “spy” in Louis Tomlinson’s apartment, and by spy he meant him. Harry thought it was stupid and reckless, so we threw the idea out.

We spent lunchtime talking about plans. Most of us didn’t touch a thing. I guess we weren’t as hungry as we thought. Nervousness filled our stomachs and we were full of it.

By the time the people from the printing press arrived to get the paper, Harry and I drove to the shopping centre downtown for some pre-Christmas shopping. Turns out he’ll be spending Christmastime with his sister, Gemma, who was in New York. I guess that meant I’ll be doing the usual “how-to-enjoy-Christmas-all-by-yourself” routine again. But of course, I didn’t tell him that.

I told him I’d be inviting some “friends” over to keep me company, girl friends from my college past. This comforted him a bit. I felt kinda’ guilty lying to him, but at the same time I thought it was the best thing to do.

“Let’s get some ornaments.” He said as we were walking side by side through the crowd. The place was packed. The scene was fascinating. Christmas music blaring from the stereos, décor hanging from the ceiling and shiny tinsel all added to the merry atmosphere. The centre was always noisy and crowded during the Christmas season, but I still enjoy shopping there.

We walked in a craft shop. “Well, maybe I could get something for the tree.”

“Wow, look at these.” He held up two gold baubles covered with colorful glitter dust. “These are cool.”

“They’re great. But I want the tree to look really…stylish.” I grabbed a thick strand of silver tinsel and threw it around his neck. “That’s nice.”

He grinned. “It does look nice on me, doesn’t it?”

I tilted my head to the right. “You look like a pimp.”

He shook his head, his look of disapproval mixed with amusement. “Imagine this horrid thing on your Christmas tree. It won’t look right. What you need is lots of different colors to make the tree look really beautiful. Like these baubles for example.”

“Oh so you’re the décor expert now?” I said and he laughed. “Well, I think the tree will look better with just a few decorations.”

“No way! A Christmas tree is meant to be bright and colorful!” He threw some tinsel at me and the shoppers looked at us. “Come on, Alice. I think your friends will enjoy looking at a whimsical tree instead of a mainstream retro one.”