Chapter Twenty Seven

ALICE

The moment I woke up, I knew it was a fine Sunday morning. Houdini’s butt was facing my nose, what a lark. But that didn’t stop me from saying “Good morning, world!” like I was in a bubbly musical or something.

I tied my hair into a loose bun, because buns are always of the essence during the mornings, and wiped the sleep from my eyes. Fry hadn’t texted or called me since our meet up at The Cap and this worried me a bit. I know it’s only been like, twenty four hours but still, it was weird, and I had this feeling…

You haven’t bothered me for 24 hours, that’s a world record, I typed. Hope you’re okHow’s the frat house? Are they treating you good? :p

I clicked SEND and tossed my phone on the bed, hitting Houdini’s back. He woke up.

“Good morning, you ball of fat.” I said and he sticks out his tongue. 

I open the door, and the mouthwatering smell of bacon and eggs immediately made my stomach growl. Within seconds, I’ve transformed into a ravenous coyote.

Following the aromatic trail, it leads me to the kitchen, where I then see Harry cooking by the counter, humming a joyous tune which I thought was nostalgic. His curls were kept back by a bun, and I almost laugh because his looked prettier than mine.

I cleared my throat and he turned around. The man was a sight; he was holding a greasy spatula and was wearing my floral apron.   

“Morning, Alice.” He grinned. “I hope you don’t mind.”

Smiling, I shook my head.

“Whatcha’ cookin there, Chef? It smells good.”

“Eggs and bacon, with a side of…” he quickly mixed the food up in the pan with the spatula. “Sweet potato hash. ”

“That sounds delicious.” I say as I watch him pull out plates from the dish rack. 

He turned off the stove. “I falsely assert that’s unlikely to be not untrue.”

“Very eloquently put, sir.” I move toward the island and he hands me a full breakfast plate. My stomach growled at the sight of it.

Bon appétit!” He said proudly.

Merci.”

He smiled and slid into the bar stool across from me. “So…what are your plans for today?”

“I don’t usually have plans during Sundays.” I shrugged. “What about you?”  

“Well, Jaromir called.” He stabbed the bacon on his plate with a fork.

“What did he say?”

“The ensemble’s doing an open rehearsal this afternoon,” He said, chewing. “For the final concerto tomorrow before they head to Boston.”

“Cool.” I nodded my head. “You should go.”

“You can come along too, if you like.”

I think about it before saying, “Okay. I’ll go.” I’m sure I have nothing better to do anyway.

“Great!” He gives me a thumb up. “I can introduce you to Jaromir.”

We were silent for a moment, only the occasional sound of spoon and fork clanging against the ceramic plates. It was nice to eat breakfast with someone for a change. And it’s been a long time since I’ve eaten a full, delicious, breakfast, and not cereal and over-fried bacon strips. I’m a horrible cook. Harry, on the other hand, is a good cook, I’ll give him that. He had turned a simple eggs and bacon meal into something incredibly delicious. I wanted to ask for more but I was too shy to say so.