Chapter Twenty Four

ALICE

“Ordered Chinese. And don’t worry, it’s my treat.”

Lying down on the couch, I continued to stare at the house lizard on the ceiling, seemingly entertained by its feasting of flies. “Thank you.”

Harry walked towards me and patted my knee. “Up.”

I lazily lifted my left leg.

“Don’t make me sit on the other one, now.” He said. “Up.”  

“But this is a really comfortable position.” I groaned. “Sit on the floor.”

He grimaced.

“Don’t give me that look, Fabio.” I griped. “Go find your own spot.”

“Just scoot over a bit and lift your feet.”

“No.”

“Please?”

“No.”

“Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeee—”

“Fine! Annoying little…”

He grinned as he relished his victory, basking himself with the momentary glory. I lifted both of my legs in defeat and he sat on the space below. Patting his knees, he said, “Put ‘em down here. Nice and slo—”

I plopped my legs right on his lap and he grunted. “Jeez. Careful. You almost hit the baby-maker.”

“Does it look like a give a damn?”

Feisty. What’s gotten into you?”

I sighed, and my lower abdomen began to ache, the throbbing pain then radiating into my back. Menstrual cramps are irritating as fuck. Periods are the worst. Being a woman is the worst. Just kidding, what am I talking about? Of course I’m glad I’m not a guy. But it’d still be REALLY nice not to get my period. “It’s…it’s that time of the month again. Riding the crimson wave. Huzzah.” I laughed dryly.

“Ah.” He gave me a sympathetic look. “At least you get to go surfing.”

“You’re a dork.” I say and he laughed.

“Do you want me to rub your feet? It’ll make you feel better.”

“My feet are dirty. Bacteria infested.”

He chuckled. “All feet are dirty. They are our body’s connection to the earth.”

I snorted. “Thank you for that endearing wisdom quote, Confucius.”

He ignored my comment and said, “You do have antibacterial hand gel right?”

“Yes?”

“Let me give it a whirl then.” He smiled. Too lazy to argue back, I simply nodded and smacked my head on the armrest. The lizard on the ceiling was gone now. Too bad, I named it Lizzie (male house lizards have a dark, V-shaped line above their tales. Though females have the same line, theirs aren’t as prominent or dark as it is in males, so the lizard on the wall, after rigorous observation, was definitely female). Lizzie had probably finished her feast and left. Or the feast probably finished her. 

Then, ever so gently, Harry held my right foot and massaged the heel. “Alice?”

“Yeah?”

“If ever the Global Statesman or The Union Daily gets wiped out, where will you go and what will you do next?”

“I don’t know.” I said, and it was true. “I’ve never really put much thought into it. Unlike you, I haven’t established a fixed, detailed plan for my future yet. I guess I’m not that...driven anymore." I sighed. "But if you really want an answer, I’ll probably find myself a career in—um—mass communication. Something I’m passionate about. Use my degree, you know? That's all I've got.”