Chapter Sixteen

The next morning it took me a full thirty minutes to drag my lethargic self to the bathroom. I fell asleep in the bathtub for an hour and when I woke up, my fingers got all pruney and my legs were completely numb. It was horrifying to wake up like that.

I dash to the Global Stateman and see Fry slouched on his seat, staring into space. I place my things on my desk and see Harry approach his workplace carrying a cup of coffee wrapped with tissue paper. He caught me looking at him and smiled. I reciprocated the action. With that simple smile he had already made my morning.

“You have a lot of explaining to do.” I say to Fry.

He looked at me and grimaced. "What's there to explain?"

"Your credibility."   

He raised his eyebrows and scrunched his nose. I shake my head.

“Hey Harry,” He turned his chair around. “That pack you gave me last night was delish.”

“Pack?” I said.

“Of cigarettes. He's a very generous guy, you know, gave me a full pack while I was on my way to follow Ros—” He paused, suddenly tense.

I folded my arms, starting to get suspicious. “Follow who?”

“Nobody important.” He clasped his hands together. “Now! Let’s get to work, shall we?”

Right then, Liam and Chief Morrison entered the room and we all turn our attention to them. They were in a serious conversation. They stopped in front of Liam’s desk, and I couldn’t help overhearing:

Are you sure about this, Liam?”

Yes, Chief. I believe there is only one way. We have to—” he leaned closer to him, and mumbled something inaudible that gave Chief Morrison a cloud of darkness.

Of course. I'll think about it.” The troubled old man said with a stiff nod. Liam looked troubled himself, though his was subtler.

Both of them nodded and stared at each other, probably transmitting telepathic messages involving forthcoming doom, and walked silently towards their respective work areas. Liam slumped on his chair and rubbed his temples while Chief Morrison, as I’ve observed had metaphoric leg cuffs, dragged an iron ball with him to his office.

“GAH. This is so messed up.” Liam muttered, shaking his head as he continued rubbing his temples. “I’m gonna need a two week vacation in Tahiti.”

“Why? What’s going on?” I said and his head jerked up.

“Nothing you should be concerned about.” He forced a smile, and it was really painful to watch. “Come on people. We’ve got a deadline to meet!"