Chapter Twenty

Rosie Canfield, the yogurt lover. Great.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” Harry snapped.

“Oh,” she sat herself on the extra chair and crossed her ankles. “But I have news.”

Harry exhaled sharply. “How’d you even know where I—”

“What news?” I interrupted him and Rosie smiled at me.

“Inquisitive, aren’t you? You truly are a Statesman.” She said, tapping her talon-like fingernails on the table. “Another great addition in Morrison’s shelf of marionettes. Isn’t she, Harry?”

“Rosie, I swear to God—”

“Now, now, brashness is unnecessary in this lovely occasion. I’m only to deliver news. And I promise it’s harmless.” She smirked. “Well,” she looked at me. “Quite.”

Harry shook his head and crossed his arms.

“Now,” Rosie began. “You, Alice, should tell Fry Kinney to get off my back. I know you two are close. Tell him to mind his own business. Tell him to pull out his snoopers or else—or else I’ll make sure his criminal activities will be headlining every tabloid in this godforsaken city. And that Vanessa he’s been canoodling with? Tell her to back off. I have my connections, Alice. And I’m not afraid to use them.”

“W-wait. What do you mean by criminal activities? Are you calling my best friend a criminal?” I said, dumbfounded. I look at Harry and he furrowed his eyebrows.

“A delinquent. An annoyance that should be fixed.” She replied.

I was beyond pissed. “What the hell did he do to you?”

“I think it would be wise that he should be the one to tell you.” She said. “Besides, I am only a messenger, a go-between. Declaring his transgressions is beyond my jurisdiction. But, if you really are curious, and mind you I know how painstakingly awful it is to not be able to amuse curiosity, I will only spill one bean. His doings are unethical and heinous.”

I gulped. "What?"   

“Rosie, please—just—leave.” Harry said through clenched teeth, keeping his anger at bay.

“No.” I said. He looked furious. I try my best to ignore him. I faced Rosie, whose amusement was quite malicious and provoking. “Did The Union Daily send you?”

She hummed, tapping her fingers again. I catch her giving Harry a swift “look”. “You can say that. But I want you to know that he had upset a firm far more larger than The Union Daily, Alice. Just promise me you’ll tell him what I told you, make him stop, and you will never hear from me again. Everything will be at peace, including the warring rivalry between the Statesman and the Union.”

She noticed the troubled look on my face and sighed. “Alice, your friend is an outlaw. Morrison knows it. Do you know why Jeff Frederickson and I left the Statesman?”

“Rosie, stop.” Harry hissed.

“Do you know why the papers bad-mouth your beloved Chief? Hm?” She continued. “Because he is a crook. A felon. He and his secret band of worshippers are all felons.”

My head was spinning. “I…I don’t understand.” 

“Don’t you see? Your beloved Fry’s taking advantage of you. I know you’re smart, probably a bit reserved, but smart. Cunning, wise, clever, oh Kinney absolutely adores you! I know they’re making a plan. I know they’ll drag you into this madness sooner or later. Those devious little schemers…” She muttered angrily. “They have been planning a revolution ever since The Union started bad-mouthing Morrison.”