Chapter Twenty Five

FRY

“So, what do you think of the GS so far?”

“Uh, everything’s going well. So far, so good.”

“And Chief Morrison?”

“Well, honestly…”

Jeff had her distracted. I figured it was time to try the cigarettes out. The day had been long and tiring. Too many problems. Now it was time to have a rest. Yes, a rest. For a moment, my eyes closed with tiredness. 

Then, I was thrown into a whirl of bodies, bumping around helplessly inside the room, feeling sick and disoriented. The pack in my pocket was getting heavy. It was poisoning me, and I had to get rid of it, the poison. I knew what I had to do; I had to taste it all, every stick. I know I made a promise not to tonight, but they were very tempting. They were tempting me.  

As I staggered through the crowded streets of the city, different smells rose into the air, mixing with cries, sounds and snatches of conversation. I looked around me as I made my way through the crowds.

Allowing myself to drift away, I’ve realized how sad and despairing my life is. I was in a state of mental delirium, and hiding it from the people around me became my best ability. I’ve been taking an excess of alcohol and drugs, secretly of course—with the help of a hero that shall be called nameless. What was I supposed to do? I was desperate. And I was wicked. Every man is wicked. 

If Alice finds about my hidden secrets she will never forgive me.

I’ve been fooling her, lying to her. I know what you’re thinking. How could a best friend do that? It wasn’t fair. It was wrong. But, I have realized that if you want to win the game of life, unfair play can be the best stratagem.

Leaning on a wall for support, I took out a stick from Harry’s pack and placed it in my mouth. I lit it with my lighter and fuck, it tasted so good. Was this Cranfords’ or something?

A faint tune, like that of a distant radio, persisted in my left ear. In the right ear, there was nothing at all, only a rhythmic “beeping”. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, but my high prevented me from answering it. Moments later, it vibrated again. God what a fucking buzzkill. Looking down at my pocket, I dug through the tight fabric and grabbed my phone.

Two missed calls from Alice. I groaned.

Placing the cigarette stick between my teeth, I dialed her number with my thumbs. She picked it up almost immediately. I was hoping she wouldn’t.  

“Fry!” She screamed. Why was she always so hysterical? “Where the hell are you? I’ve been worried sick!”

Then, I see the spawn of Satan himself walking toward me. Louis Tomlinson. That scrawny son of a bitch was always looking for trouble. How the hell did he find me here?

I remember saying something to Alice, but I forgot.  

“Fry, where are you?”

I looked up and read the sign. “I’m in the Great Beyond.”

“Stop messing around you son of a bi—”

“No, seriously. I’m in the Great Beyond.”

“The emporium? What the heck are you doing there?”

“I’m looking for a crossbow.” I thought it sounded funny.

“A what?”

“I’m planning to kill someone.” Louis Tomlinson.

“Stay there. I’m coming to get you. Harry’s with me.” She hung up, leaving me with a brooding demon.

“You were in my apartment.” Louis said in a deadpan tone. His cheeks were flushed from the biting cold, but the warm red in his eyes proved that a man can be as unaffected when under the influence.

“Falcon Scott told you?” I said, blowing a smoke ring.  

“You’ve got some nerve, coming at my place, snorting my cocaine, after what you’ve done.” He bobbed his head. “I should’ve killed your raggedy-ass when I had the chance.”

I laughed, and it sounded so maniacal that I scared myself. “I come and go anytime I want, Tomlinson. You can’t stop me.”

He pursed his lips. Taking a long drag from the stick of ensnarement, I walked a few steps closer to him, completely and utterly possessed (my sober self wouldn’t have the balls to do this), and looked down at him straight in the eyes. I had the height advantage, so it gave me a confidence boost. “I’m not intimidated by you.”

“False bravery.” He chuckled darkly. “I know why you need the drugs, Kinney. You’re scared. You’ve upset a lot of people lately, I’m afraid.”

My face fell.

He narrowed his eyes at me. “Mendez told us to keep quiet. But your loud ass mouth just can’t do that can it?”

I took a step back and he shook his head, mocking me. “I didn’t tell anyone.”

He grabbed me by the collar, he was a strong man, and I dropped the cigarette stick.  My insides tighten with cowardice. He wasn’t called the spawn of Satan for nothing. “You think you can follow Rosie Canfield around and just walk away? You’re fucking delusional! Morrison’s men are tracking us down one by one and you don’t seem to give a fuck!”

“Go fuck yourself, Louis.”

He released me with such force and I staggered back.  

“Who’s Harry Styles?” He snarled. “And why does he know about us?”

“He’s…” I gulped. “He’s nobody.”

“You’re a real class act, Kinney.”

“I’m telling the truth.”

“No, you’re a fucking liar. If you don’t get your shit together you’re dead.” He said, menace seeping through his skin. “Eventually that Alice you’re so fond of would be too.”  

I was silent, standing there like the coward that I am. I needed to smoke, but my hands were shaking.  

“I’d watch my back if I were you. They’re out there. If you wanna live, keep your mouth shut and follow Mendez’s orders.” He jabbed his fingers behind my collar bone and I remember falling to the ground.