Chapter Nine

It was eleven forty five and everybody heads out for lunch. Fry and I decide to ditch the lunchroom and find something decent midtown, just to relieve all the tension about The Union Daily and the possible infiltrators with hidden agendas.

As we stepped outside the sun, I see Harry standing beside the fire hydrant, holding a lit cigarette between his fingers. I didn’t know he smoked.

“Neat-freaks permit tobacco in their lungs?” I said incredulously. “Shocking.”

“Smoking can be a form of cleansing to the soul.” Fry said and I grimace.

“What’s that even supposed to mean?”

“I don’t know, honestly.” He replied and I punch him on the shoulder.

“We should invite him for lunch.” Fry said and I raise an eyebrow.

“Don’t give me that look, woman. Let’s be friendly. Come on.” He said and I follow him as he walked towards Harry.

“Hey, bro!” Fry said in a cheery tone. Harry turned and greeted him with a weary smile. When he looked at me I gave him a nod.

“Alice and I are off food carting. You want to come with?”

He took a long drag and threw the half-smoked butt to the ground, then stepping on it with his boot. “I’m afraid I’m not really good company.”

I almost scoff. Fry titled his head slightly. “That doesn’t matter, dude. Bad company. Good company. We’re cool either way. Aren’t we, Alice?”

“Yeah, we are.” I said and Harry smirks.

“Okay then.”

“Great!” Fry said. “Because I’m dying for some falafels.”