"Yeah, too much shit about you."

"Very funny." I quipped only to hear running and feel an arm around my shoulder, making me flinch in surprise.

"Yo, Nate's giving us a ride." Raquel beamed, appearing on one side of me while Kaylen popped up on the other.

"Where we going?" I asked.

"Eddy's, c'mon, we gotta go." Kaylen urged.

Things escalated between Nicki and the boy, Nate, she associated with. His newest attempt in trying to win her over was impressing her with the fact that he has his license and a car. He made it known that he'd be available to take her and her girls from point A to point B with no issues.

And, of course, we all thought offers riding with a guy a year older and from the other side of the city was way too cool to pass up.

"What y'all doing hanging around them for?" Q asked, reminding us of his presence. And I instantly recognized that tone.

It was the same one he used in our first conversation in the library.

He was judging.

Again.

And before I could respond Rocky beat me to it.

"Cause they're cool with us," Raquel responded just as loud music could be heard, Nate pulling up in front of us, his friends following behind in a car of their own.

"Let's go!" Nicki called out to us, already getting into the passenger seat. "I'm hungry!"

"Later Q." Kaylen smiled before going and getting in the car.

"C'mon." Raquel told me. "Bye Q."

"I'll see you later?" I asked.

"Yeah." He nodded, and I just smiled before jogging up to the car with Rock.

I slipped off my backpack, throwing it in the trunk, his boy, Eric, closing it before the girls and I squeezed into the back seat. Nate pressed on the gas moving us forward and I just vibed with the music he was playing, enjoying the feeling of freedom and excitement that came from the being in the car with all my friends.

Walking inside Eddy's, I recognized other people from school already there. Kay and Will got us a booth while the rest of us stood in line and ordered. After getting our food, we all just talked and joked around while we ate. Some of us even pulled out homework, the people around us keeping us in good conversation to be in a rush to leave.

"It's getting late. I gotta bounce." I spoke as I looked at the clock seeing that I had to get home before six, and the time was approaching. If I wasn't at any of the girls' houses and called to let them know, I had to get home before dark on school nights. That was the rule.

"Oh shit me too," Raquel said as she glanced at the clock.

I rose from my seat at the end of the booth, starting to pack my things, slipping my backpack on.

"Who else is coming?" Nicki asked as she got up.

"I can give you a ride." Nate suggested and I instantly shook my head. A few of his friends left, while a couple stayed, and the car was a little too packed as is.

"I'm cool walking," I told him.

Plus, if I rolled up to my house in some dude's car and somebody told my Mama, I was dead.

"I live further than y'all so I could use the ride." Will brought up.

"Me too." Kaylen agreed.