1 - The New World

"A steady stream of silence flows, like a blanket of illusion. Covering and smothering, the senses are in much confusion." Elevation - Valis Ablaze (ft. White Dove)

Davyna's POV

Supernatural creatures are real.

They came out of hiding a couple years ago, stating they were tired of being in the shadows. Small treaties and laws were put in place to accommodate them, and more would be implemented as they continued to negotiate terms around their presence in human society. My parents weren't too keen on it, but unfortunately that is the world now. We're as aware of them as they are of us. Everything seems peaceful, but my mother always stated that it's just a matter of time before something happens. After all, these creatures have abilities that we as humans don't possess and they could easily overtake us if they wanted. We have to be prepared for anything.

That's why my parents decided to move out of the city, and away from those now populated with the supernatural. I didn't pay much attention to why we moved, nor really cared, because I'm fine being secluded. My mom homeschooled me well before they made themselves known and continued until I graduated high school quite early, so I never made too many friends, nor took the time to. I'm not completely unapproachable, but I just don't go out of my way to get to know others.

I did however, take some time off to follow some passions of mine while she went back to a normal job. I started working out more regularly and I took performing arts classes since I'd always wanted to when I was younger. Needless to say, I always loved it as a form of expression, and currently still take classes each week.

As for more about me, I just turned 23 a couple months ago, so it's been about 2 and a half years since the supernatural became known, and I'm about to take online classes for college per my parents' wishes. That's fine with me. School has never been an issue for me, so I'm not concerned with moving onto tougher college courses.

As much as I don't like to socialize, I do have one friend. Her name is Sage. We grew up together in the city. She and her parents actually wanted to move out close to where my family did after this whole supernatural business came out, but they ultimately stayed in the city. Her parents were just as uncomfortable with it as mine were.

Only difference between us is that she actually went to school while I was at home. She's planning to take online courses too, so we may be spending some more time together. Which will be nice don't get me wrong, but I'd rather just be by myself, reading a book or practicing something to perform. And by perform, I mean just to myself in my own room.

Performing in front of people? Not my cup of tea.

Honestly, Sage gets me though - more than most. So if I absolutely have to have a friend, I'm glad it's her.

Speaking of my love of books, that's exactly what I'm doing - laying on my bed reading. I look over at my bedside table and glance at my clock. 8:00 PM. I go to go back to my book, but then I do a double take and realize I promised mom I'd help her tonight cutting some firewood for our new fireplace that Dad finished installing a couple days ago. I remember the conversation we had last week when I had asked why she couldn't just buy firewood from a store in town.

"It gets you outside and getting some fresh air instead of having your nose in those books all the time." I had scoffed at her, faking my offense. "Hey, I get out too. I don't always spend my time with my books!" I recall rolling my eyes slightly and she had glared at me. "We live in an area surrounded by forests. It would be ironic to go buy what we can easily get from our backyard."

I sigh, remembering those words and realizing she was right. I couldn't have fought her on that, even if the thought of trying to chop firewood made me exhausted, and I hadn't even done it yet.