Chapter 12

I looked down at Fury's body. Steve was behind me as well as agent Hill and Natasha. All of this couldn't have come at a worst time.

The baby. SHIELD being compromised.

This was a lot.

We couldn't speak for the longest time. Nobody knew what to say.

"I need to take him." Hill said.

I heard Steve sigh before his footsteps made their way over to me.

"Aurora." He said.

I looked at Fury one last time before looking at the ground and walking out of the room.

I had no clue what Steve and I were going to do. SHIELD was compromised which meant so many people against us. And I was pregnant. What if this wasn't over in time? I mean this could take months, even years to solve if we weren't smart enough.

I was tired of worrying about this.

I started walking faster.

"Aurora!" Steve said and followed.

I turned around.

"What?" I asked.

"What's wrong? Talk to me." He said.

I could see the worry in his eyes.

I looked at the ground before looking back up at him.

"It's just-" 

An agent from SHIELD came over to us cutting me off.

"Captain, they want you back at SHIELD." He said.

"Yeah, give me a second." He told them.

"They want you now." 

"Go. You need to do your job and I need to do mine. That way we can figure out everything that's going on and then talk about our problems. But please be careful." I said.

"I will." He said.

I wondered what he had done with the hard drive that Fury gave him. I had a feeling he wouldn't give it to me. I know he that he would trust me with it, but he didn't want people after me. Especially now, but I needed to see everything that was on there.

I walked away pretending to get in an elevator, but I watched him.

He saw him put it in one of the vending machines.

I smirked.

Typical.

I went home knowing I would go straight back to the hospital after. It was a long night and I needed a shower and some coffee. My jeans had blood on them from Fury, but it didn't seem to matter.

I swear most of my clothes got ruined doing this job.

After I was out of the shower I quickly changed into a my old skinny jeans and a white shirt that was about elbow length with the sleeves and had black stripes. I slipped on my red KEDS and quickly did a little bit of make up. I threw my wet hair into a ponytail and put on some sunglasses. (outfit on side)

I grabbed my gun and some ammo, along with my black leather jacket.

I shoved my gun and ammo in my brown purse and slung it over my shoulder.

I locked the apartment. I know I would have to clean it up soon. There was glass shattered everywhere and things were knocked down.

I ran and got a cab before making my way back to the hospital.

I ran up to the 3rd floor where the vending machine was and pulled out some money. I shoved it in before typing the number and watching the gum fall to the opening. I did this again until I got to the hard drive.

I chewed on some gum while I waited for Steve. In that time I thought more about what killed Fury, I think I might know what happened to him.

About 45 minutes later I saw him walk up to the vending machine.

I could already see the confusion on his face.

I walked up behind him and blew a bubble. He didn't look so happy.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me into another room.

"Where is it?" He asked.

"Safe." I said.

"Why would you take it? I didn't want them to know you had it." He said.

"And if some random person got ahold of it that would be better?" I questioned.

"Let's be honest here, Aurora, okay?" He said.

"Alright." I whispered.

"Did you know Fury hired the pirates?" He asked.

"No, but it did make sense." I said, putting it together.

"Start telling me everything." Steve said.

"I think, I think I know who killed Fury,  but I'm not sure yet." I said.

 I did my own research while I was waiting for him to get here.

"Start talking."

I sighed.

"Most of the community doesn't believe he exist, but the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. He is credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last 50 years." I told him.

"So he's a ghost story." Steve said.

"I don't think so. In 1991, after my grandparents were killed in the car accident, my dad did investigating. He began asking a lot of questions and thought he had a lead on what happened to them. When we was working a lead at a hot spot with other agents, he was shot in the shoulder. Soviet slug. No rifling. That how I recognized what Fury had been shot with. After that my parents made sure I knew that he was real." 

"Did they ever go after him?" Steve asked.

"They said going after him was a dead end. My father and three other agents tried. Like you said, he is a ghost story." I said holding up the hard drive.

Steve took the hard drive from me.

"Well, I'm going to find out what the ghost wants." He said.

"No, we're doing this together. I'm not leaving you." I said.

"Aurora, did you forget that you're pregnant and this guy, he's shot right through your dad before. What makes you think I'm letting you come?" He said.

"The faster we do this, the better. And I'm not gonna get hurt. Just let me help. I'm either going to be by your side or I'm going to sneak around trying to be by your side. And I know how to work computers better than you do." I said.

"Fine, but any action is where you leave. Understand?" 

"Understood." I said.

************************************************************************************************************

I would like to dedicate this chapter to Dr_EmmaReid_97 cause she voted for literally every single chapter and inspired me to update:) Thank you:)